1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For guys who used liquid for the 1st time last year....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

How did it go, for the guys who switched over to liquid last year? My experience was good. We never ran out, it did the job even if we did'nt put it down before a storm. It melted in temps as low as around 5-10 degrees F. One thing we did invest in is a electric shut off valve instead of the manual one we started out with. The plain old gravity systems worked great but if we get a few good contracts back we bid on I think its time for at least 1 actual spray system. Now that the prices of rock salt came down a bit we might go back tho and just use 1 liquid system (the spray system).

2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Last year was a disaster for me. Purchased tanks and a spray rig that worked out well. I think i will use stream tips instead of the fans. any ways, my supplier sent me 4,000 gallons of crap. hopefully, this year will work out better.

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a headache to me:cry: Pm me I'll tell you how to make your own.

4. deicepro

I'm curious what you paid for the 4000 gallons of crap? If you dont want to say thats ok.

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have seen some pretty nifty setups on here to make salt brine out of bulk. If anyone comes across the threads they should bump it up for this season.

I have a 375gal tank I might utilize for a gravity system this year. I will see when the contracts have come in what I end up doing.

6. deicepro

What brand of valve did you buy? How much was it? How fast does it close?

7. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

It was around .18 per gallon including freight. Seemed like a good deal but it was crap.

8. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Is it possible to make up you're own liquid spraying system? If so, what kind of cost and what do you need?

9. deicepro

Anything is possible! I have built 6 for myself and 3 for others. I first started with 4 - 5gpm flojet electric pumps which worked great for small stuff. Then I boomed, now I use a 300gpm poly pump with nothing less than a Honda motor, 1 1/2" electric valves, 30gpm nozzels, boombuster nozzels, I can spray a 50' wide strip ( 0mph wind ) My first small setup cost about $600 for a 100 gallon tank,4 pumps,10 nozzels.

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

So the 30gpm boom busters are actually worth the $130 per? I was wondering if I should drop the coin for the 2 boom busters.

11. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

How big of a parking lot could you do with a 100 gallon tank. An average Wal-Mart? More/less?

12. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on the product you use it could be 2-3 acres. Chloride brine seems to work the best. Salt brine is a joke. It is applied already diluted to around 20% of raw material, so the effects are minimal. We switched to all liquid last year and had great results with good feedback from out clients.

13. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Metro who is your supplier and whats the name of the product that your using?

14. Metro Lawn

I am my own supplier. We are using mineral well brine 31.5% chlorides

www.metro-melt.com

15. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Whats the cost per gallon and at what gallon rate?

16. Metro Lawn

price depends on quantity, but anywhere from 75 cents for small quantity and down to 30 cents for over 5000 gallons (that is price for this area) transport costs will add $ the rate we use is 30 gallons per lane mile or about 1 1/4 acre.

17. m297

m297 Member

We used Liquid Calcium from DOW chemical, 5000 gallon deliveries you get pretty good pricing. We have found that it works much better than the well brine, since the well brine percentages very so much from delivery to delivery.

18. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Do you have to mix it or just spray it as it comes?

19. deicepro

well, I buy the poly style which are about half price

20. deicepro

Can I ask how much you pay per gallon? pm me if you want