1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? For Geoff, or digger

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I just saw a lowboy on my way to the store. It had a Case 580 on it, and a JCB articulating 4 wheel rubber tire type dump truck. The dump was pretty small, or so it seemed. Just curious what it would be good for. It seems an old tandem could easily hold more, and make a good site truck. I have never seen such a small dump for use as a site truck. It looks a lot like the Tundras, with the 6' long shocks, 10' tires and wrap around decking on the hood, only much smaller. Is the small JCB designed to limit the damage to existing grounds? Less ruts, etc?
    The reason I say this, is because the company is a golf course construction company. So I can see a reason to not want to damage the existing grounds.

~Chuck

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

JCB builds dump trucks? My answer may be wrong, because i am having a hard time picturing this truck. Last Summer a major pipeline was built in maine, and I had some of the action, on "small" specility jobs. Actually, what we did was build a few access roads, to special parts of the line. Its hard to build a access road, when your smallest dozer is a cat D 8. Also installed some data transmillion lines.

These trucks are great for off road, yes their capacity is small for dirt, however you can carry lots of rocks and stumps on them. The thing is when you are building something like a pipe line you have miles and miles of ground to cover. You don't want to be stuck laying down gravel everywhere, so you can use tandems and tri axels. These off road trucks eat up mud, rivers, streams like a joy. I saw them used on the construction of a shoping center once.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 10-07-2000 at 03:05 AM]

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

It is weird it seems that items that have been in Europe for several years are just now arriving here.Three and a half years ago I went to an equipment show in Paris France the number of small excavators,small rubber tired loaders,small dumps was amazing.Those items are now starting to appear here,sometimes even when there is not a market for something it can be created just through availability.As for the reason for the small off road articulating dump,you pretty much figured it out as far as the tread lightly aspect with golf courses and similar places but also for larger sites it allows large amounts of material to be moved in to tight spaces,inside buildings,travel across pavement,etc.They do make the whole gammet of sizes on up to a Cat D400,somebody will demo the little one long enough so that the price falls to where we can afford to buy them.Also the rental market really drives alot of equipment like that.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm so used to sites having gravel, or the main roads laid before other construction, that it never crossed my mind.

I just checked the JCB website for North America, and the one for the UK, and saw nothing like it. THe closest I saw was the military products at the UK JCB website. I'll stop by the place and get a model number off the machine. The golf course construction company is right down the street from me.

~Chuck

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

There is another company called Hydrema that makes a similar machine I'll see if I can find the web sight.

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Chuck check out http://www.hydrema.com under dumptrucks,they also have some of the coolest tractorhoes you have ever seen,so look at the whole site.

7. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Digger; Maybe you and Dino could overthrow John for Prez/VP. Get movin' you've only got 4 weeks until election day - send me some bumper stickers. Anybody that doesn't vote for you could be sentenced to a 10 minute jail term in Chuck's paint spraying shop.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Volvo makes a simialr truck.
    Dino

9. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I think Iowa needs some sleep.

Or better drugs......

Sounds like he's been skipping some of the med times again.

Anybody know his nurse's phone number ??

[Edited by John Allin on 10-07-2000 at 01:57 PM]

10. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

The bigger ones are made by alot of people,Bell/JD,Volvo,Cat,DJB,Moxy,Terex,but it seems that not very many have gotten into the less than 20 ton market.

11. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

John its OK he's just fine he just has these problems when he smokes Camel no filters.

12. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

That's Camel w/ no filters laced w/ Chuck's B52 Bomber airplane high toxic paint