1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$ for blizzard 8611

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsaunders, Feb 19, 2005.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I"m looking to find a price as to what my plow is worth in the real world. The truck was in an accident and they want to total the plow and give me $3500 for the plow.
    The facts -I bought the plow mid- Feb. 03 $5200 + $500 install. I used it a couple of times, then used it during 04 and then was in the accident and hasen't been used this year 05.
    So the plow is 2 yrs old as of this month yet has not been used this year and had limited end of season use in 03 and a full season 04.
    So at the most its been used for a max of 1.5 seasons.

What would you want to be compansated for this plow? Now It does depreciate but at what %? With the amount they offered, the insurance company is saying the plow depreciates at close to 25%%%%%% per year!!!!
    I think this is CRAZY, Please help and let me know what to do.
    Even at 15% per year the plow would be worth $4100+
    Thanks Joel
  2. Chainlink

Chainlink Member
    from Vermont

I have'nt a clue but at 25% a year plows wouldnt last 10+ years. Did you make sure they didnt confuse it somehow with a Hyundai :p . I think that kind of drop in value is absurd and seems they are only covering themselves(big suprise ) . Did they also take into account of lost money while your vehicle was down?

Insurance is a needed evil thanks to :gunsfiring: lawyers.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

To determine the value of a 1.5 year old plow is subjective at best. Its value is subject to supply and demand. What you should do is ask the insurance company ( or do it yourself ) to find a 1.5 year old plow in good condition and see the selling price. You probably cannot find one to determine value. Then state now you are forced to spend more money to replace it. Let's say you have to spend an additional $1,000.00 out of your pocket. You should ask for $4700.00 or ask them to find you one for $3500.00.
    If you have to settle for less than $4700.00 then agree only if you get to keep the damaged plow for salvage. I have done this before and it worked out money wise pretty good for me. Don't forget in an argument the wiring and frame mount can be considered part/ or not part of the vehicle. Which ever way works best for you. So if the truck is OK then take the 3500.00 and re-use the wiring and undercarriage. Then you can replace the rest for close to the 3500.00.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Did THEY bring up depreciation?

They are probably quoting you on their "stock" price of a regular snowplow.

Tell them you'll accept $5700 and no less. You'll have to put a new plow on, and thats what they cost.

Depreciate nothing.

They don't depreciate body panels when a body shop orders new ones. What they cost is what they cost.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2005

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You could go get a price on the plow you want. Then take a copy of the quote to the insurance company. Or they may say, Here is 3500.oo go buy your plow and bring us receipt for total and we will make up difference.

Is what I have seen before maybe is what they will do. Depreciate nothing but for sure replace with new.
  6. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

First of all if your policy covered it then you should have your orignal reciept? If you do not have it then you have to go to your dealer and get it they should have it on record. You need to take that to the insurance company.
    You can fight with them tooth and nail but they will NOT pay for parts and labor that means you will not get the install price. They may give you a hit on depreciation. Just like when your car is totaled they give you the kelly blue book value of the car. They will most likely do the same for the plow :(
  7. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

A little more info, The under carrage is trashed, the frame plates-1/2" steel were twisted into pretzels, the main push beam was bent as well. The truck has been totaled. The plow(mold board) I don't think was bent but the right side wing CUTTING EDGE BOLTS were snapped off. The pump did make some noise before I disconnected the wiring, but nothing moved- the wires have been pinched off at the manifold. The A-frame has some SMALL damage but looks like it could work as is. The pistons also look good with nothing leaking.

Parts needed- light tower bar, push beam, frame push sides, wiring at pump, cylonoids on the manifold- these are needed but the rest is unknown untill it gets ripped apart. Thanks Joel
  8. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I do have the original reciept when I purchased the plow.
  9. Devonian

Devonian Junior Member

Damaged Plow

You should get the installed price of a replacement plow, most likely the insurance company will go off of whatever legitimate price you provide them. Installation should definitely be included-- you had an installed plow prior to the accident and so you should also have one after the accident. When a fender, bumper or quarter panel is damaged, they pay for the installation of those. Your plow is considered part of the vehicle under the policy. It's even covered for theft under your comprehensive coverage when it's not even connected to the vehicle.

I have worked in the insurance industry for several years, if you run into a problem, please PM, maybe I can help. Good luck! Remember, you catch more bees (or bears or whatever it is) with honey, than you do with vinegar. :waving:
  10. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Was the truck totaled also? is so: My wife is an estimator for an insurance and based on what you paid for the plow new and what you are getting for the claim you should take it. SHe said that is the absolute best deal she has seen on a plow claim. The plow is worth whatever value it adds to the vehicle as a unit if the plow is damaged along with the vehicle. She said to go to NADA.com or Bluebook.com to see if you can get an idea of what a plow adds to a used vehicle.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  11. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Yes the truck has been totalled- 2002 F450
    Blizzard 8611 installed Feb. 03 (end of winter)
    used 04 season
    NOT USED in 05

Devonian - any help would be great
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

This is crazy, but may be true.

You cant compare what NADA gives you for a snowplow vs what an 8611 Blizzard costs. NADA may only be figuring on a 7.5 Meyer. This is like comparing a Geo to a Mercedes.

Play hardball. They (ins. co.) take your money each and every month, yet it's as if your pulling their arms off if your trying to come out decent on a claim.
  13. capital

capital Senior Member

I am not sure if this helps, but is the plow covered under your general equipment or the auto policy? The reason I ask is each would have a seperate deductible. In Iowa your plow is not part of the vehicle. If your in Iowa and ur agent tells you it is..................be prepared to find out when the adjuster gets hold of you, it is a seperate policy. Each state is different and I think you need to clarify which policy covers your plow and also what deductible they are applying. In some policys the deductible changes depending on whos at fault and if the other person has insurance. Lets be honest each policy is different and you need to sit down with your agent and the adjuster and come to find out exactly what the policy does and does not cover and say.
  14. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Didn't you say your back was starting to hurt from the accident??? Hmm those medical bills could add up to a lot of money if they don't settle with you right away.

In Ohio they have to pay current market price for same make and age. Tell them to go get you a 1.5 year old plow (8611 of course)in equal or better condition and have it mounted on your new truck...
  15. caz41

caz41 Member

I just find it hard to believe that you can argue that they should give you full price for a new plow. I feel just as bad for you as everyone else here does, but to think that they will give you the full price of a new plow installed is not likely. That is like if you totaled out a 2 year old truck, and then demanding the insurance company to give you check for the price of a brand new truck off the lot, and then ask them to chip in for tax and license as well. Even if you didn't use it much last year, it is still a used piece of machinery. Also you must factor in that a plow is going to depreciate more in value because it is taking much more abuse than any other part on the truck. My advise would be to try and negotiate the price with them, but don't be disappointed if you don't get the full price of a brand new one plus instalation. My 2 cents...
  16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Lightning strikes your house, knocks out all your appliances.

You get brand new TV's, range, refrig., etc. Not used ones.
  17. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I'm not trying to get full price for the plow-(it would be nice) I do understand that I did use it and it had depreciated over the 1.5 yrs. I just had a HUGE problem with the insurance company wanting to deduct 25% per year x2 on the plow.

caz41- I didn't total the truck- 100% NOT MY FAULT, it was the other guy's/road conditions, and he didn't make it past the accident.......

I do like the idea of telling the insurance company to find me a plow for $3500 that is like mine and in the same condition - pre accident
  18. Bolts Indus.

If it was the other guys fault then his insurance pays.
    They have to pay your full loss. If you cannot find a used one then yours has to be replaced with new.
    When there are no used plows to be bought then your used one has the value to you of a new one.
    Stick to your guns and get a new one. Tell them you would like to run it past a judge to see what they say. Of course you would also ask the judge for loss of revenues during your down time. See what they say then.
  19. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Thanks Bolts. Ind- You would think that if it was there clients fault they would gladly pay. NOT SO! They acy like they're doing you a favor by giving you 50% of what you bought it for, and expect you to be super happy about it.
    I will have to tell them to find me a replacement. There are none around esp. used. Who would get rid of one?
    My plow was also # 29 produced :( which is why I had some problems with it because Blizzard did change parts and pumps. I went through 1 pump(slow) and 2 or 3 lift/mount arms. Blizzard did change that part again at the end of last season, but I didn't have it changed over since I had just had a new arm put on alittle before and was just going to wait fir it to cause problems.
    The funny thing was that Blizzard used the same lift/mount arms on the 8611's as all of the other plows. No wonder why I had problems the 8611 weights so much compaired to the other models. But I wouldn't trade it! OPEN IT UP TO 11'3" AND PLOW ALOT Joel
  20. Bolts Indus.

Insurance companys. :rolleyes: FA*************RT