1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For All you Jeep owners

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJ Contracting, Jan 18, 2005.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

My brother in-law just bought a 90' jeep wrangler w/a 6'.5" western plow 6 cyl. 5 spd. trans. This jeep has a tee handle under the dash that reads posi lock. We were wondering what that was for? If i get a chance i'll take some pic's of the unit but that might be awhile seeing how they say 1"-3" tonight, any help would be appreciated thanks. I won't be able to reply right away i'll be out in the garage for awhile

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

On that Jeep there was probably a vaccuum actuated center axle disconnect which was prone to failure. There is an aftermarket kit to remove the vaccuum portion and make it cable activated. If you pull out on that lever it will lock the front axle in 4WD. Without that engaged the t-case you can throw the t-case in 4wd but the front axle will act as if there was a front tire on a sheet of ice and not work properly.

Look at the front axle on the passenger side of the differential. There should be a box with a cable going to it welded to the axle tube. That will be the cable to which the lever is attached.

Whenever you want to be in 4WD you should engage that lever.

3. computeruser

computeruser Junior Member

Jeeps of that era use a two-piece long-side inner front axle (right side), with a vacuum activated disconnect. The vac disconnect frequently misbehaves, preventing engagment of 4wd. It also prevents the driver from unlocking the front axle in 4x4 LOW for tight turns. Posi-Lok is a product which replaces the vac operated disconnect motor with a manual, cable-operated disconnect that the driver manually engages when 4wd is desired. This is the control that you are talking about. See, http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/ for more info.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry Computerserver... Beat you to it :D

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Plow Meister and computeruser i'll have him check for the box and cable i new i could count on you guys. :waving: :bluebounc