1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For all ultramount owners

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 84deisel, Mar 2, 2010.

1. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

After post storm inspections started showing that our units were exibiting some looseness and sloppyness, we have came up with a couple of solutions to make these plows stronger and solid as new again. If you look closely at the first picture you will see a pro plus center pin with grease around it.this is because we have added a grease fitting and now the bolt is greaseable

western 007.jpg

western 021.jpg

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

If your pro plus is 2007 or newer all you need to do is drill and tap the quadrent where the centerbolt goes through but if you have an older pro plus it is alittle more envolved. On more than one of ours the bolt hole is egged out usally calling for a new quadrent but we have been able to hog out the metal and sleeve it with 7\8 black pipe which is then welded to the quadrent ,ground down smooth and an acces hole is drilled on the side and it is drilled and tapped then a grease fitting and lubed then the center bolt is tightened up till the gap is closed off pretty good.

western 013.jpg

western 014.jpg

western 023.jpg

western 005.jpg

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

The next fix applies to all ultra mounts and covers the pivot bar and a frame. We have found that the pivot bolt does need to be tightened up peridoicly.If left loose too long you are faced with replacing the pivot bar and\or a frame. The same repair works well here.After dissasemling plow the factory sleeve usally falls out we then hog out the metal and use the same 7\8 black pipe to sleeve it .Because there is less movement here we line the inside with a thin kevlar wear material instead of grease.

western 030.jpg

western 038.jpg

western 051.jpg

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

The next area that is also overlooked is the bolts that hold everything together. These seem to loosen up and the only cure that works for us is to replace all the nylon locking nuts as they never tighten back up so I get them red hot with the torch and relace the nuts and sometimes the bolt also.

western 053.jpg

western 052.jpg

western 047.jpg

western 046.jpg

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Last but not least we have the famous upper lift frame.If you look at this onr you will see that it has started to collaspe in . This is what happens before they crack.On the far side a plate of steel is added to beef up the area .On the back we remove the chincy metal supports and make our own out of 1\4 inch steel. If the lift tower is cracked , we weld these on .If it is still loose we weld the upper lift frame to the lower lift frame, luckily on this one it was not cracked.

western 043.jpg

western 045.jpg

western 060.jpg

western 063.jpg

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

And here is how it looks all done.

western 065.jpg

western 050.jpg

western 068.jpg

western 064.jpg

7. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Great fixes to common problems! Why wouldn't you want to pay 500.00 for a new quad? Saw that the snodog has the greaseable center bolt.

8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I am new to the Ultramount, can you post a better pic of the grease fitting location? I just bought two Ultramount 9' plows. So you think the grease fitting will eliminate the "bent or warped" looking centerbolt, similar to the way a canterbolt looks always bent on a Unimount, or is it totally different?

9. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Hey awesome pics, we have been doing some of the same stuff here, only question I have is on the pivot bar. You say you are using Kevlar or Kevlar type material inside the bushing, I think that's a great Idea, and I know what Kevlar is, I just have no Idea where to get it.
    My friend is a cop but he wont let me rip apart his vest to get the Kevlar out. LOL

10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

On the pro plus ,if it is a late modle (07 up) the quadrent is open between the arm as on the older modles they box in the quadrent. On the new ones they have a tube that the center bolt goes through ,we simply drill a hole on the pass side in the middle of the tube, it does make it easier if you discounect the angle cylinder, tap it for a grease fitting and then install the fitting and grease. The pro is a different setup than the pro plus as the center pin on a pro is about 4 inches long while the pro plus is about 12 inches long.On the kevlar material it is about the same thickness as a sheet of sandpaper and to be honest I really dont know how we got it butwe just happen to have some and now we found a purpose for it. This is a picture of an older pro plus.

western 009.jpg

11. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

this is my new homepage...thank you!!! it sucks we cant add rep points like other forums id triple click you!

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

bumping this back up for this year.

13. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Need a write up like this for the unimount crowd. Ill be doing something similar to my unimount...

14. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Hey nice fab work 84

15. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have done the same for my unimounts but i add brass bushings with a grease zerk.

16. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Great info. The new 9' pro+ on my truck has only been on the ground for 2 small peels but I have already had to tighten up a lot of the hardware. Especially the lift/light frame. Those 4 bolts at the bottom seem really lacking in support (and size)... the frame was really loose after a short time.

Also had loosening issues with the other "main" bolts you described, like 3 or 4 on each side. And of course, the lights themselves wiggled loose. I love grease fittings- wish there were some, but I keep all moving parts very lubed up with FF and spray grease.

17. beezil

beezil Junior Member
    from chicago

thanks for the bump dees!

didn't see this last year.

really awesome post, it inspired me to do an inspection and protect my investment.

cheers!

18. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

Thank you very much for this great info, I really appreciate all your hard work, and you sharing the knowladge with us.

19. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

This is my plow's second season. No problems or loose anything; yet. I plow the s#!t out of it, but when the event is over I power wash it and the truck. Before storing it for the off-season I hand wash it, paint anything that needs to be painted, grease EVERYTHING that can be and fluid film the entire thing. Just before snow season I change the fluid. Its worked for me on this plow and any other that I've owned. The things noted in this thread though are things that I keep an eye on, especially the tower connection point, woulda thought DD would've put a little more beef in that connection. Thanks for the info and great fixes should anything arise. :mechanic:

20. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I think the engineers at dd did see this thread as the latest version of the lift tower has reinforcement very similar to the ones I use. So yes they are aware of the problem ,they just have a problem admitting it. As an update , I do these checks periodically throughout the season and tighten and repair as necessary.One big change that I made is switching to fine thread bolts and nuts as they seem to tighten better.