1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

For all the Michigan Boys

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TJSNOW, Aug 17, 2009.

1. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

I put a bid in on a nice size parking lot a couple of weeks ago..Needless to say i did not get the bid, But im gonna post the size and scope of work.I will post the winning numbers in a couple of days...Heres a hint..Times are tough in Michigan..The lot is 196350 square feet.Not many islands...about 8..Plenty of places to put snow...Every direction...They also wanted the walks done...9400 square feet...NO ATVS ..only shovel or snow blower..The walks needed to be chlorided....1" Trigger on everything.....So what was the winning bid for Plowing the lot...Sallting the lot..and taking care of the sidewalks...Its gonna be a tough winter Here

2. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

What???...No guesses..OK..The walks went for $225 per occurance...What about the plowing or salting...anybody????

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Just tell us.

4. Master Brain

Master Brain Junior Member

Lets guess $375 ????????????????

5. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

its not that bad here yet 395.00 lol

6. standenc

standenc Junior Member

well lets see $750.00 plowing salting

7. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Master Brian You are correct....$375 to plow and $300 to salt..I gave them my personal cell phone # and said give me a call the first storm

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why would they have to call you ?????

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Because when the company that got the bid doesn't show up for "such a cheap price" he will come and do it.

$225 for the sidewalks
    $375 for the plowing
    $300 for the salting
    $900 per plowing doesn't sound to bad to me.

How much did you bid it for?

10. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Quad power...$900 dollars sounds pretty good untill you crunch the numbers...Almost 5 acres of plowing and salting...PLUS 9400 sq. feet of side walks....Chloride alone for the walks would kill you at $225+ Labor...NO ATVS just shovel or blower....So crunch the numbers...I bid $550 per push..$400 per app salt and $380 for the walks...And that seems low to me....

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't see the metion of Chloride for the sidewalks. I keep them clean and free of ice and snow with equipment instead of product so I don't know how much it costs to apply.

I also assume they don't want blades scraping the sidewalk so a blower on a mini tractor would be allowed. I have a 51" on a Kubota BX 2200 that would knock that out in no time. Maybe even a power broom could be used.

You are probably closer with the lot plowing price. I would probably bid $100 - $150 per acre. A 1" trigger would add probably 5 plowings to my season over the 2" trigger I have. Pushing 1" of snow across 5 acres with a 16' box blade on a loader would be no problem.

I don't do salt, so I have no idea on application rates.

My point is that they are probably not loosing money. Keep bidding the way you normaly do because you can't loose money just to have work to do. But, feel around in your area for prices. Maybe you are higher and are loosing bids because of it.

Good Luck this season.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009