1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Foot of snow to plow.....double charge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ctplowing, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ctplowing

ctplowing Junior Member

3 days ago we got over a foot of snow in 4 hours. Way too much to plow with the storm. In a normal storm I could've plowed twice and billed for two plows.
    My question is this....do you still bill out for 2 plows in a foot or more of snow even though your showing up once?
    I do because its a total PITA to plow a foot of snow in one shot. Takes me literally 2-3 times the time.

What do you guys do?

2. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

We've got most of our stuff set up at intervals, like 0"-5", 5"-10", and 10+". Might be different up there in CT. My wife just got back from there, she said it was wild compared to what we get here in OH.

3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

sadly no i wouldnt. If I am doing a place strictly per push regardless of accumulation, you just have to take the hit.

I will either price the lot at per push per inch, so how ever much snow is on the ground at the time of the push is the charge, 10" storm push 1 has 2" push 2 has 8" each push has a separate charge.

If its just per push no matter how much snow, i will include a blizzard clause, usually for any snow totals exceeding 10" or 12" depending, which then i just get my hourly rate.

We only use that when the lot actually has more than 10 or 12" of snow at the time of the push. If we got an all day snow though totaling 12" (spread out over like 8 hours) we would just do the per push rate, since we should be able to get 2 maybe even 3 pushes in.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

If you're letting that much accumulation accrue that you are pushing a foot at one time, or if it's snowing that hard that you can't keep up with it, then you need to protect yourself with a contract that states an extra charge for it, whether it's 50% more or double.

Either that, or charge hourly.

If it's not in writing and signed by the customer, I don't see how you can charge double for one push.

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You do what your contract states.......and If you don't have a contract consider it a lesson learned to have one......

6. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

yup, if i was a customer and I know you only plowed the lot 1 time but I got a bill for 2 i would be calling you right away. Work something into your contract for excessivly fast amounts of accumulation, ie a blizzard clause where you get to charge differently than normal.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If your contract states every 6''+ of snow is a billable charge,whether you opt to plow at 6''[ and then the final 6'' or to wait at the end for 12'' total,doesn't matter,you should bill out for 2 6'' plowings,no question. Anybody that doesn't understand this,I explain that if hypothetically speaking,if you get a 3' snowfall,would you reasonably expect me to move a mountain of snow if I should be able to plow that all at once and only charge for a single 6''+ snowfall??Of course not.I would charge for 6 plowings--simple and completely fair.

8. peterng

peterng Senior Member

that's all up to communication. I reserve the right to do this.

I find it hard to stick to numbers. 3" wet snow is equivilant burden to 10" light snowfall. So I tell them up front that it's hard on equipment and personnel. I take very few per push for that reason, they all call when it's all over.
    Pete

9. Jay51

Jay51 Junior Member

All my customers are sent a letter at the beginning of the season that states: "if we get 10" or more the price is double whether we push it once or twice". With that much snow sometimes you can't get to everyone twice so you show up and there is a foot of snow in the driveway with 3 feet at the end from plowing the road. Should you charge for one push or two? It definitely takes more time and abuse on your equipment. Repairs and Insurance are not cheap by any means.

10. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

It's all in the contracts. 0-6 / 7-12 after 12, $XX.xx per 1" over.

11. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Definatly charge double.

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Question:

Answer

13. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Put all the information in the contract, then....... bill them what it says in the contract.