1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Foot and a half of snow w/ snowblower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spitfire3416, Jan 26, 2015.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 Junior Member

Just starting out with snow removal and I have 8 driveways that need to be done. I have a one stage and two stage snow blower. My question is will I be able to clear a foot and a half of snow with these? I'm in NJ and were getting hit pretty hard right now. Not sure how this is going to turn out seeing as I've never done anything this big with a snow blower.
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Just have to go slow. Can chop up any large snow with a shovel first to make it easier for the blower to throw it.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is the snow taller then your 2 stage? If so your gunna have fun.
    You've never used a snow blower before? Odd
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you try to do that much at one time? Go out every 3-4 inches. Problem solved. Otherwise you could put yourself in a World of hurt if your blower won't move the total accumulation and you're on the hook with contracts for those driveways.
  5. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Keep up with the storm and go get extra fuel and 2 cycle oil you'll be fine as long as you keep up with the storm
  6. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

I would recommend as the others have, go with the storm and start before it stops. Once the depth reaches a deep enough level you feel comfortable with go out then. It also will depend how wet the snow is, the worse part will be the end where the town/DOT plows dump when doing the roads. Maybe you can find one of the local plow truck guys to give you a hand and just do the ends for a good price. I have a guy in my area that has blower accounts and has said he would contact me in case the end of his driveways get too deep or heavy for his blowers and I can plow them out for a fee.
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

they make pieces of steel called drift bars that mount on each side, knocks snow down ahead of the blower and reduces the need to put someone in front

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

He's gonna be a snowman by morning I'm lmao
  9. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

TWO WORDS ( have fun) Thumbs Up
  10. spitfire3416

well thats what i wanted to do but were not getting very much right now. it's coming down very lightly with a foot of it coming between around 8 tonight up until the morning. unfortunately i cant really be out there in the middle of the night running snow blowers
  11. xgiovannix12

typical neighbors complaining?
  12. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I do every storm. 2' plus of snow coming? Tell anybody who complains where the f#@# to go!!! I have a feeling you just might make some extra cash from the sound of your blower.
  13. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

With the winds they are predicting, blowing with the storm probably aint gonna do much good. Your path will drift over by the time you get to the end of the walk and turn around.

If the snow is real deep, what I do is raise the front of the blower by pushing down on the handles, and leave about 5"-6" of snow on the first pass. You can really cruise. Then clean up on the second pass to open up a lane.
  14. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

in blizzard/heavy snow conditions, I wouldn't worry about it. Any smart "harry the homeowner" would go snow blow his own property in the middle of the night (atleast I would if that much snow was predicted) so go out and get it done
  15. JustJeff

You're contracted to (or at least have agreements with) the homeowners to do their drives and walks, correct? If that means going out several times in a night, so be it. It's no different than the rest of us plowing all night. That's what we've contracted to do, so we do it. Why are you any different? If your blower can't do it tomorrow are you prepared to try finding somebody during the storm to come plow them out and pay for their services?
  16. spitfire3416

yea I understand that im contracted to do it but i guess the way i see it is that they could always hire a guy to plow it next time so they don't have to listen to snow blowers running at 1am in the morning. honestly customers and their neighbors shouldn't have to listen to that when their trying to sleep. plus their is something called a noise ordinance. idk maybe those don't count though during state of emergencies
  17. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

OK I don't get where your coming from? Do you want to be a snowblower/snowfighter??? Or do you want YOUR customers to hire a plow guy to plow their drives? Is this a job you want to do, or would you rather be doing something else? In this industry you do, whatever it takes to get the job done, period. You need to answer these questions honestly now when you only have 8 drives. To your original question, yes a two stage blower will do 18" of snow. And if yours won't you can shovel 8 drives, then buy one that can. Good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  18. JustJeff

Glad I didn't hire you to do my drive because I'd be pissed and your phone would be ringing non-stop. If there's over a foot of snow in their driveways tomorrow and they need to get out and can't, it's your fault. You've dropped the ball.
  19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Also be calling the cops b/c someones snowblowing at 2am
  20. xgiovannix12

you can call the cops for plowing at 2 am as well ? :p