1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fonrt Axel Weight on my 08 Chevy 3/4 Ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevyboy08, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Chevyboy08

Chevyboy08 Junior Member

I recently just purchased a used 2008 3/4 ton Chevy from a local GM dealer and was told it had the plow prep package.... me being an idiot did not verify this and lone behold the truck is not equipped with the VYU package which would be the plow prep... I'm looking into getting a western 7'6" pro but its calling for the plow prep package and to my understanding that package only comes with skid plates, the wiring provisions for a beacon, and a 160 amp alternator... my truck has all of those except the 160 amp alternator. I asked the dealer to put the alternator in and there saying they cant do it because the computer will limit the amp output to around 100 amps no matter what- Can this be true? Or can the 160 amp alt be installed or are they just messing with me so they don't have to do it? Now this really gets messed up because for some strange reason my GAWR F for my front axle is 4200 even though my GVWR is at 9200... my truck is the only 08 3/4 ton Chevy that ive seen or my western dealer has seen with such a weak front axle rating all the others are said to have come with 4800.... So basically I'm wondering why my truck has such a weak front axle rating, and what would be the difference between my truck and every other 08 3/4 ton Chevy, and can i still put the plow that i want on it with the front axel rating being so low?

-Truck has tow hall z71 and trailering package 5th wheel wiring and is loaded up pretty good
  2. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I put a BOSS 7.5 standard poly ( 733 lbs with mount ) on my 1/2 ton. With 475 lbs ballast behind rear axle, my front axle weight was over by 130 lbs ( with me in truck and full tank of gas ). My gfaw rating is 3900 ( I think ) .
  3. Chevyboy08

Chevyboy08 Junior Member

yeah i was doing the quick match on westerns site and i put in half ton and it came up with 3900 just to see if i had for some stange reason a 1500 front end in my truck im totally lost i dont know what would even make the gfaw of a truck differ other than maybe a couple turns of the torsion bars?
  4. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Keep adding ballast behind the rear axle until a scale shows the front axle within its rating .
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

not sure about the alt. question. why not call some other local dealers and ask them

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Not sure about your axle. Your truck has the same frame, bearings, a-arms/control arms, etc.... Just see what torsion bars are in it, I'm guessing GK's which are fine. Just check the Z-height (which I'm guessing is low) and adjust accordingly. They are blowing smoke about the alternator
  7. Chevyboy08

Chevyboy08 Junior Member

I talked to two local dealers about the alternator and they said you could put a 160 amp in it just wouldn't do anything different... How would i go about checking which torsion bars are in it and how what would the z height be? and how to check that?

Either check and see if the tag is still on the bar or check the RPO codes in the glove box. Z-height should be 4.5" to check take a level off the bottom of the knuckle and measure down from the middle of the lower control arm bolt.
  9. Chevyboy08

Chevyboy08 Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the help, this was my first post on Plowsite.com and its for sure made me and addict I've gotten more help in two days with people who are just informative and friendly than the people who I' m willing to pay and have payed (aka the dealer). I'm gearing up for next winter as we speak and starting my own small business on the side to make some extra cash doing what i find is fun and thats pushing some snow. Ive seen some 3/4 tons with Western Wideout's, is that to much plow for my truck?

You will be fine with a wideout, I'd recommend installing frame gussets on the truck. They are just insurance that you won't have any issues. B&B on here will sell them to you or you can make them yourself. You can do a search on here for Chev frame crack or frame gussets and you will have more info than you know what to do with.
  11. Chevyboy08

Chevyboy08 Junior Member

Thanks again for the help i appreciate it
  12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I would ask the dealer if he know any thing about trucks (plow-prep)...
    Because I would be in there making a lot noise about what he told you...
    That's not right in my book....
  13. Chevyboy08

Chevyboy08 Junior Member

I asked the dealers service department, the one i purchased it from that is, if they knew why my FAWR would be so low and they were clueless they told me to pretty much piss up a rope and go to an off road shop and ask them, there idiots the guy couldn't even comprehend what the front FAWR was or why it would be any different on mine than another 08. I also checked my Torsion Bars and they are LGK which is what im assuming LANDSCA was referring to although i haven't had time to check the Z height I'm waiting for the week end to put it on a lift. LANDSCA did you put frame gussets on any of your chevys?
  14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

The difference between a 7.5' and 8' blade is usually only 50 pounds more less... You'll never regret buying a 8' blade and 50 lbs isn't gonna make or break your front end...
  15. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I have an 8' fisher MM1 on my 2000 3/4 ton with the 4200lb front end. Sags a bit more than I'd like but ballast takes care of that. Works fine, you won't have any issues.
  16. Chevyboy08

Chevyboy08 Junior Member

I just talked with a western/chevy dealer and its true you cant put a 160 amp alternator in a truck that didn't come with one from the factory, the computer is flashed to handle only 120 amps although you physically can put one on it just wouldn't do anything different. and yet this dealer still has no diea why the FAWR is so low whats going on with GM??!?!?

GK's are common. No I don't have gussets except on the 96' which I bought with a broken frame. One of those things I just haven't gotten around to it