1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FOLLOWING STORMS for PROFIT

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BeastMaster, Feb 14, 2007.

1. What about following storms for profit ? I mean, travelling to a state with a big snow (rt. now Oswego, NY or Boulder, CO) and cold calling and plowing, staying in motels etc.

I'm told that not all the accounts are "sewn up" and in big storms people really need plow help. Now, if you didn't low ball, would the local plowers "come visit" you and make you wish you'd have stayed home ?

I can kinda see snow storms like the old gold rush days. I have a friend in Boulder, CO who says people almost beg for plowers out there and pay really, really well compared to the $40-$60 per driveway or small parking lot that I get here.

If fully insured and a professional....why couldn't it work for a couple of weeks here and there ea. winter ?

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ask BNC or Grassbusters about it, they went to Denver when we had no snow in northern il. They were out there for a week i think, never heard how they made out money wise but im sure they did pretty well.

3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I would, but I don't have to go anywhere for snow. We've been getting it about every week here for the last month & a half.

4. Missouri ? It aint 'posed ta snow in MO.

5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I have considered doing that on several occasions. And think there is a lot of money to be made in those areas, and like you say,there are a lot of businesses that don't prepare and they are looking for someone to clear their lot NOW.And like you, we don't get a lot of snow down in this neck of the woods.

6. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Don't bother head up here to NY. Everyone here has plenty of ways to move snow, if you live around here you have a plow, or loader or something to move it yourself or you have somebody that takes care of it for you already. Enough lowballers already here, don't need to import them. Besides if you are not used to working in this type of snow and driving on roads you don't know, it is very dangerous.

Oh and if you think you will get $60 for a driveway with a plow you are dreaming, not up here you won't.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I would have to say that loaders would be more useful in that type of situation.

8. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

It sees to me like its more wishful thinking than anything. Sure the New York plow guys are slammed but if they're like me, they'd rather be stressed out and busy than let somebody else help them and take half the profit, im sure alot of them have friends willing to help with some part time plowing. It seems like more of a hassle than anything I mean logically speaking. I mean not only do you have gas, food, and lodging. Also, you have to drive down there in the crappy weather. On top of everything when you finally get down there you have to still search for work. If you cant find work then you're out x amount of dollars and x amount of time for making the trip. Even if you can find work to keep you busy for a few days then you have to hope that your regular accounts back home dont get any snow or else then you're really out of luck.

I say, stay where you're at. Plow the snow you've got. Look for more customers, and wait for more snow.

9. Typical response. It's called cold rolling. Guys do it all the time. Move in set up, work a month or so and go home. You don't figure it out in one visit, gotta take a beating the first time or two.
    And, if hillbilly's here will pay $45-$60 for a driveway,,,they sure as hell will in Upper Crust New York...you aint fooling me with that one.

When you get snows like Oswego has been, there's no way the locals can handle it all.
    That's like saying after Hurrican Katrina hit: "Stay home, we don't need no help. Our local carpenters can rebuild New Orleans (and surrounding areas) by themselves."

I aint buying. I aint coming your way either though.....got another snow going on rt. now here in SE IN. 3rd one in 10 days. Never had it this good before. Just got caught up yesterday (barely) and we're getting another trigger snow.

Back on the quad, another $400 day at the office it looks like.

10. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Well this is not "Upper Crust" NY, this is a very poor area of New York state. And yes the locals can handle it and have for many years, this is not record snowfall by any means, this is typical Northern NY winter. The Tug hill gets 300" of snow a year, we HAVE to know how to handle it. Do the math , if you are plowing at a 3" trigger at $60.00 a driveway, that 6K a year, now figure in wind which never stops blowing and drifting and add another 3K a year for those trips, how many people do you think can afford $9,000 a year to plow a driveway, sorry, not going to happen. Everyone either has their own plow, loader, blower etc or if they don't their neighbor does. It is the way of life here, if you have never lived here or spent a winter here, you would never understand.

11. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Networking

It's my guess, that most guys like yourself have friends in other places that would gladly go lend a hand in there time of need. So I'm thinking in the day and age of computers and friendships made online. the likelyhood of going into a town and making enough to pay a motel bill is kinda unlikely.I have met many people here and the other site, If asked, I'd send a couple of trucks in advance to help them in a major storm. they always have a bed for someone willing to work and help out. I'm sure most guys will agree.
    Ray Grimes

12. One of my college professors was born and raised in Rochester, NY. From what I remember of him saying....that area is NOT poor white trash......nor is the surrounding area.

13. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Nor is the Tug Hill anywhere near Rochester.... better get out your map.

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BEAST.....................Lake ain't pullin' yer leg !!!!!!!!!!! The lowballers and their rolling
    scrap iron will do your driveway for the price of a 12 pack o' beer around here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't bother bidding anything in my area of Oswego County ! I just plow my bar
    and the bank next door. IF I get any flagdowns I will recommend one of the
    "homeboys" and their rollin' scrap iron.....................

$60 bucks a driveway ??????????? I WISH!

I visit down in the Camden/Philly area.....IF they get snow thats the place to travel
    to. They charge BIG bucks there and are desperate for trucks and drivers when
    the snow hits. A few inches cripples them folks .
    I was there in 93 and hooked up with my truck and somebody elses blade and made
    a killing !

Up here we measure snowfall in DAYS and FEET !!!!!.............geo

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  15. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I agree I am a reformed flatlander form Oswego. Locals can handle what is dished out, even if it they are plowing for beer money in their hoopties. Everyone has a plow and there is enough other equipment going around. The other thing to bear in mind is all public roads are maintained by the NYSDOT, county, town, village, city, etc. so there is no municipal work. Someone pointed out loaders and whatnot might make money but why haul it all the where from wherever, sort of cuts into the margins with the transport. Everything was dug out pretty good in a decent amount of time. My parents only missed one day of work. Other than that if you are not used to this kind of snow and have no experience with events like this you are simply spinning you wheels (literally) and going to ruin your truck far away from home. One more thing, it is certainly a working class area, Oswego is the only county in new York state that has no homes assessed (for taxes) at 1 million or more. The rural parts of the county would almost remind someone of rural Appalachia if it was not for all the snow!!!:)

16. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

We as a company plow in a number of markets. All are with in about 8-10 hours of each other. We often offer our subs the oppertunity to help in a big event in other markets. (Built in margin) We have had several events over the years that we have had subs make more in other markets than their home market. We tend not to move big equipment just trucks, Salters and Crews. Sometimes we will move skids however nothing bigger. in most of our markets there is a LOT of the big stuff sitting.

Personally I would not go unless I had a contact that wanted help. Yes there are always people durring the storm looking. Most however know when the truck is next door and how to flag them down. However most lots are calling through the phone book. Yes if you hussle you could pick up a lot.

One thing to be aware of If you cross state lines you MUST be a DOT certifiied Vehicle. Some states are differnt with their laws. And often in border towns the "law" is overlooked however if you travel from say IL to Denver you better have that sticker. Or you may be convincing the DOT and Highway patrol that you just bought the plow.

Second Accepting a check from a walk up is JUST PLAIN STUPID.

17. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I'm not real sure where Rising Sun is but Evansville Indiana averages 14.5 inches per year for snowfall, up there in New York, they get that before lunch. And while you were trying to take a nap, your quad would probably disappear in a drift up there.

Sorry man, but they'd more than likely eat you for dinner up there. You'd probably be cryin mercy up here in West MI on a quad most nights.

And what'd ya say, 3rd snow event in three days??? That's great, good for ya - but your three events, well you know what I mean.

18. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

But come on up with your quad, we do get short of entertainment up here!!

19. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

Wouldnt there be a problem with liability insurance as well?Does it follow you from state to state?

20. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

I dont think you can explain it to people, how often and how much snow comes down day after day when you live east of the great lakes. Most people in non-lake effect areas dont get it how the band of lake effect can just sit on top of your town for days at a time without moving at all.