1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Follow Up - Fall Barbecue for snow contractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Oct 12, 2002.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Just got back home after the BBQ. The turnout was not as big as I thought but I think it was good. Rain did kept us inside the salt shed most of the time but it was not that bad to keep us from looking at the new equipment on the lot. I saw the new Boss Smart Hitch and Fisher Minute Mount II snowplows. I had the dealer show me how fast and easy it is to hookup and unhook. I might say that I am impressed on how much easier they are to mount and unmount than before. I watched the dealer hook up the Boss plow and it did not take the dealer as much effort to hook up as the Fisher plow would do but as a result they both take just about the same amount of time to hook up. I like the improved setup of Fisher plows. Also I saw the stainless steel X-Blade. It looks very nice and strong, but I wonder why the angle of attack is not the same as the regular yellow plows. Sorry, no pictures. At around noon, John Parker demonstrated about his Magic Salt and sprayed the pile of salt in his shed. I bought a few bags of Magic Salt to try out this winter. Saw some of you Plowsite members like Chuck, John P., Mick, Got Grass, ProSno, JCurtis, Dino, Snow, Pelican. Didn't talk to them but it was good to see them.
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

You should have walked up and said hello!!!:waving:

None of us Bite :nono:

You're right the weather sucked... but the company was good.

It was nice to see Tammy from SIMA there. ( NO she didn't bring the rain with her... it was there before she arrived) and also to get a chance to meet Pelican ( great truck for a Ford) and the rest of the guys I chat with on line.

Wish I coulda brought that CASE 621D home with me

Now John can start planning for next year.

PS John, Thanks again for hosting this BBQ every year.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2002
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

John, Thanks for putting on the show!

I didn't get there until a bit later, had some morning work to take care of. It was great to meet a bunch of the guys, wxmn6, you should've come over and said hello!

Unfortunately, the vendors picked up a bit early, and took off while I was BSing with everyone. I spotted the Sidewing on arrival and really wanted to look it over but missed it.

Hope you'll do this again next year, John, and we'll all pray for better weather!
  4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Pelican, Thats some body on your truck. It looks more impressive up close ( the pics you posted don't do it justice.

I am considering getting a Henderson Munibody III set up for a salt / dumptruck setup. Just not sure if that comes in Stainless yet.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

It was great to see the members here ( It was a very good turn out considering the weather) at the cookout and yes thanks John for all the work that you do for this event, I'll see you next year.
    Jcurtis beat me to the punch, Pelican that is the THE BEST plow truck I've EVER SEEN!

I guess the only weather that would have been worse would be snow, but then again.....
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2002
  6. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

Sorry I couldn't make it this year... I had to work all day. Maybe next year I will be able to get the day off... Sounds like it turned out great like last year. Will someone be posting photos?
  7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Anybody got any pics??

Been readin about this forever, just too far away for me.
    Anybody get any pics for those of us who couldn't attend???
    I know I would love to see some,
    Mark K
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just got home. Enjoyed seeing the gang again. I took off about 2:00 so didn't get to see everybody. I was pretty focused on getting my load of Magic Salt.

Only had one pretty exciting moment on the way home. Going up I495 there was a car heading toward us going the wrong way. He was all in the left hand lane, so I got in the second lane and let him by. He kept on going and I couldn't tell what happened to him.
  9. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

I just wanted to thank all of those who came and wished we could have had better weather.The turn out from our count this year was about 65 as opposed to the 150 or so we usually get.We also had 17 vendors who didnt show do to the weather but i am sure they will be back in force next year.For those vendors and attendees who were able to make it i just wanted to say thankyou and hey we will see you next year.
    John Parker
  10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Gas for the 950 mile round trip to Poughkeepsie--$69.00

A bag of Chips Ahoy chocolate chocolate chip cookies and a 2-litre bottle of Pepsi (to keep that sugar rush going when the old eyelids started to droop)--$4.58

Tolls along the way--$8.50

The chance stand in the rain looking at some fine equipment; to learn some things about this business I hadn't learned yet; to meet and talk with a good bunch of guys I'd only known previously as screennames, about a shared passion--priceless. :)

Thanks, John P. for hosting such a fine (although somewhat soggy) party. :)

(The chance to meet and talk with Trooper Cornelius of the PA State Police about going 81mph in a 65mph zone--$144.50 and a blemish on an otherwise citation free 30-year driving record. :eek: :mad: )
  11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

What is it with the PA Troopers? I got tagged last year on my way to Pittsburgh for "doing 85 in a 65" but the trooper said he would write it up as "75 in a 65". The part that irked me is that I WAS doing 75... That was my first citation ever...

The BBQ was fun, and it was great to see many old friends I had not seen since the last BBQ( Dino, Jeff Curtis, got grass, snow, geo, and others), and to meet so many new friends. I finally got to talk to Reg from Sidewing Plows, got a GOOD look at Pelican's truck (actually got to sit in it and fire it up), I got to check out Turf Plus' "International Magic Salt Flagship" (that is a NICE truck, which I also fired up), talked to Steve from RCS, Mick, JD Plower & his Dad, Brian, Russ, and George from SMG, Tammy from SIMA, and of course John Parker.

Unfortunately, the BBQ broke up early, so I did not get to talk to as many people as I wanted. It wasn't until after we left that I realized I was standing next to wxmn6, who I had wanted to chat with.

It is also unfortunate that so many vendors decided not to come, or just left equipment with no representatives. Even though the turn out was less than expected, they missed a great opportunity to talk about their products to a VERY dedicated group of Professionals.

I also thought it was funny watching John's dog Mulch, running all over the Magic Salt pile, and napping on the top. I think that says a lot about Magic Salt, the fact that a dog climbs and sleeps on it regularly, and it does not bother him at all.

I want to echo everyone else's sentiments, and say THANKS to John Parker for once again inviting us all to his place, and showing us such a hospitable time.

(snow had his camera, but I don't know if he got any pics of us. I would be he got pics of Pelican's truck though!)
  12. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I decided to split this thread, so I can unstick the original thread.

13. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

In spit of the weather, i still had a fun time talking to people i haven't seen in a while. I met tim1075, i've been talking to him online for like 2 years or so. The vendors did leave early, but i stayed till around 4pm talking to a lot of people.

When i came up with the idea for the bbq and started talking to john parker about it, he offered to host it at his shop. This whole event would have never been started if it wasn't for John's offer to host it at his shop. I'm sure there's a lot of work involved to organize such an event, so thanks again john. I had a good time.

I did get some photos of turf plus's truck, pelican's truck and aspen environmental truck. The photos are in my webshots album (link in my signature). Pelican's are in his album on the 2nd page, turf plus's and aspens are in the misc. album.

Hopefully next year will be a nice day. Thanks again John.

14. Mick

from Maine

From the "old guy" to the "young guy" - congratulations on a good idea, Bryan.

wxmn6 - I remember seeing you there although I didn't realize it at the time. I was wondering who "Stephen" might be. Next year, hit me up side of the head or something. I really hate it when that happens - I get back home and figure out too late who I was talking to.

Too bad we didn't get a group picture. Maybe next year.
  15. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Gentlemen, I would like to thank John for putting this BBQ on, it has to take a lot of planning and time on his part, Thank you John. I'd like to thank Dino, He's the one who told me I really should go after I e-mailed him. I had a great time even in the rain. Just swapping ideas and talking shop was worth the ride and I finally met Chuck and seen Pelicans truck up close-nice truck Pelican hope we get some snow now. Glad I had the chance to meet everyone. Thanks again John.:drinkup:
  16. Chuck Smith

from NJ

There was a conveyor and spinner salter that can be mounted in any dump body on display. I wanted to check it out more, but the vendor left early. It did seem to have it's flaws at first glance, but I wanted to check it out more. I got the flyers they had, and have not yet been able to check out the web site (website not responding message).

One of the drawbacks is once the salt gets low in the body, you have to refill. Even still, it will not empty the body completely. I heard a mention of having to shovel the salt onto the conveyor. On a positive note, the spreader can be removed in 15 minutes. You can also dump the body with the spreader in place.

Here's the link (maybe it will work?).

17. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I had a great time. Even though it rained. It was still worth the trip. Hopefully it'll be better in the weather dept. next year. Thanks Alot John.

18. Mick

from Maine

The Harder link isn't working. Seems to connect, but just never gets loaded.

I talked to the Harder rep about that conveyor. Weighs about 600 lbs with central hydraulics. The idea is that as the material in the dump bed gets low, you raise the box to get more onto the conveyor, then open the gate to spread out the last bit. He was wanting input as to offering it with a gas motor. I would think they monitor this site if anybody has ideas for them.
  19. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I was looking at that Harder unit too. Seems like a sweet unit, I especially liked the urethane spinner guard.

I was thinking of a easy way to build something that would be able to be slid into the dump body that would create an angle on the bed floor so you don't have to raise the bed or shovel.

I don't think it needs ( the angle) to be as steep as the sides of a
    Vbox , so maybe a few Pressure treated 2x4s, or 4x4's and some pressure treated plywood. This would last through a season or two I think, and would be easy enough to remove when the conveyor is removed.

It seems like it would work to me... anybody got any ideas.

P.S. The Link worked for me this morning
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2002
  20. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

I just returned early this morning, I didn't get out of the rain until almost Chicago, I wonder if it was following me around:confused:

I also would like to thank John for hosting the barbecue he did a fantastic job! Thanks again for allowing me and my wife to set up our TURK-KEY WING display, I hope that everyone had the chance to see how they work.
    I had a great time, finally got to meet the guys from plowsite so now I will know who I'm talking too. I didn't know this until after we left- my wife was talking to John's son and found out he was a PACKER FAN ! GO PACK GO!
    Once again thanks John for having us, and we will be back next year with sunshine!

Rod & Lynn

p.s. sonjaab your an animal :drinkup: