1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Follow up calls after submitting a bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by chev2500plow, Sep 8, 2008.

1. chev2500plow

chev2500plow Member

After you submit a bid do you do a follow up call if so how long do you wait?
    Thank you
  2. JK828

JK828 Junior Member

I don't do any follow up calls for bids. We are busy enough that I will not chase work and I don't want to seem desperate to get the job. If a potential customer has questions or concerns about your bid, they will contact you. I will however do follow ups on our jobs to make sure customers are happy and that the service we provided whether construction or snow removal met their expectations and needs.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

From the time you mail to a phone call about a week.
  4. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

what if they tell you that they are still waiting on a few more bids to come in and it could be a couple of weeks
  5. grandview

Quiz them on it. See what price they are thinking of and bargain with them
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

It could be a couple of things
    Either they are being nice and they did not choose you or they are waiting on someone to bid cheapier than you. Either way I would say Good Luck, but keep looking.
  7. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I dropped off a bid at the holiday in express last thursday the "property manager" was a real pita and asked me why I was dropping the bid off so early in the year and that they wouldn't be signing anything until the end of october. I then told him that bid was good for 30 days and that at the end of october the price would go up due to supply and demand of service. So aside from me venting i have no clue what my point is besides that it is amazing how some of these idiots think that we are going to beg them for their business and that we don't need to plan ahead.:realmad::realmad::gunsfiring::gunsfiring:
  8. grandview

So people think they are going to be ripped off if they sign to early ,most of the time it costs them more in the end because they are scrambling to find someone and it costs them more in the end.
  9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have got contracts because of the follow-up. Like grandview said, you get a chance to talk when they are looking at your numbers and work it out a bit over the phone if need be.

At the same time, when we first were starting out and desperate, we bid a couple lots that were huge and we overbid them. Instead of just telling us that we were out to lunch, he told us for 5 weeks that they were still deciding. We called once a week. All he had to do was tell us the truth and we would have been so much better off.

I will never understand why people are not just honest.
  10. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I know this is an old thread, but is it rude to ask how much the winning bid was when you do a follow up?
  11. grandview

Since you didn't get it ,ask. I just got back a signed contract that I mailed out in Aug. i had forgot about it it came back signed .
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I will typically ask why if it was awarded to someone else (which it usually is), and then i'll ask for a rough percentage of how far off our price was.
  13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The guy that just sits back doesnt get the job. You have to ask for the sale. If not your competition will
  14. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Although its freaking hard we try to call back 5 times b4 we give up, call backs show that you are interested in their business. And always ask why you didn't get the job, make notes and rebid next season.