1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Follow our equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Neige, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

For the next few hours you can follow our equipment. Just go to our web site http://www.vanderzon.ca/en.html and clic on follow our tractors. You will see live tracking of our equipment. Enjoy
  2. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Hi Paul,

We are testing the system on 2 units this winter. Just wondering where you guys mounted your gps units in your tractors and if you have had any problems with blocked signals?

I have mine mounted under a plastic cup holder tray inside the cab of the tractor, and while it is pretty good at picking up the movements, it seems to miss some (ie. backing in and out of a driveway even with a 10 degree change of heading).
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Now that is great information to you and your customers
  4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You have a female operator?
  5. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

You don't?
  6. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

swing batter swing
  7. Triple L

from Canada

Buddy I by NO MEANS have ANYTHING against women operators... I think its awesome... Just very rare in the snow business... Though it was interesting..
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Triple L,you know what a women looks like?
  9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

All I saw was a map.I think all your operators disarmed the unit while they're in the strip joint.:D
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All business inside there,trying to finding out if any the ladies need a plow job when they leave,
  11. Triple L

from Canada

LOL Nice one :drinkup:
  12. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Very cool Paul!
  13. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Very cool. Do you buy the gps units or do you lease them? along with a monthly service for tracking?
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Very cool Paul.

I know it may come as a surprise Chad, but women can work as hard or harder than men.

I had one that would outplow most of the guys I have had and outwork a good portion of them too.

Maybe why you're having a hard time finding a GF. lol
  15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

One of our mechanics installed them. I believe they are under the dash I have not finished geo coding all my clients, still have 2000 left to do, so I do not know if I ever had a missed signal.

Well soon you will see how she operates a JD tractor, I just shoot a video this morning.

We bought them from Operasoft, and yes there is a monthly tracking fee. I must say you get loads of added benefits, they have an awesome program geared to our industry.
  16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Oh by the way our operators are done for the day, next time we go out I will bump this thread.
  17. Chaos

Chaos Member

Hi Neige, how much does a system like this cost per month? I have a small team of 5 vehicles but 3/4 of our communications are "where are you". I got a quote from a guy wanting me to try a system for 30$ each a month but it runs on an obd port, needless to sya my tractors dont have one.

This year I installed icom Digital radios that have the potential to use gps that send position to dispatch. Very good investment considering Telus Mike was costing a fortune.

18. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Just yanking your chain. I've been driving plow trucks since I was 21 or so. I'm not doing the math because women never tell their ages but that was a few decades ago. :blush2:

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

We are using these now as well also through Operasoft. For the owner of any snow removal company this system should cut out the side-by-side truck talks and side jobs some contractors try to do while on a commercial route.

I also like the fact it leaves a foot print for those lot owners who like to call and dispute if we were there or not.
  20. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Contact JP at Operasoft, they have a section on this site. It is more per month than that, but it is geared more specifically toward the snow business and has more features than some of the other programs out there.