1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fold up chutes, Poly, Stainles opinions? and quote I got.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow game, Dec 1, 2010.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Shopping around for a new sander and prices are all over the place depending on the type.

This will be my 5th sander in the fleet I don't know why I'm having such a hard time deciding. I thought I made up my mind when I found a brand new Down Easter SS 12hp B&S motor with installation and fold up chute for $4250 for 1.9cy the others are:
    Salt Dog SS 1.8cy 9hp B&S chain drive $4150. cash and carry.
    Torwell SS 1.7 5hp honda hydraulic unit $4975.00 cash and carry
    One of the parts guys I talked to told me fold up chutes are problematic the shaft often strips out or the joint fails. I thought it would be nice to be able to tow with the truck that has the sander in it, and I could keep one more truck off the road for the winter.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the fold up chutes, or any of the brands mentioned above. Pros and cons appreciated.
    My other sanders are Torwell and Henderson. I was also interested in the poly sanders but they just don't seem reliable.
    Unit is going in a 2010 F350 Dump With XLS Fisher
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We have Downeasters with fold up chutes and they work flawlessly. Dont know if was a Downeaster design or it was fabbed at my dealer. We wanted them this way because they are mounted on our hooklifts and we didnt want legs. Check out the link to see pics...

3. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Johnny, I noticed in your pics that your chutes fold up and are hydraulicly driven. The set up I'm looking at the chute folds to the left (on Down Easter web site) and the parts guy mentioned that the shaft that connects them tends to strip out. Nice set ups you have I have to get a hook lift!