1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Foggy windows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gtstang8706, Feb 2, 2011.

1. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Ok, so Ive been plowing for several years, and one of the most annoying things to deal with when plowing, besides morons in my way, is the fog on my windows! Does anyone have any clue how to keep the windows clear? Sometimes im fine one minute, and then i got to back up and cant see anything! I wipe it off and it keeps coming back, even with the defroster. Thanks in advance!Thumbs Up

2. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Get air moving in the cab. Turn the fans up high

3. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

Got a rear slider? Open that up. Otherwise crack your windows a bit.

4. Freebird

Freebird Member

pretreat with rainx anti-fog. do it a few times and that will help later on.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Put the HVAC on fresh/outside air and do not recirculate.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i keep the defroster going and the windows open to keep the temp just right and keep fog off the windows

8. 67ghiaTIV

67ghiaTIV Junior Member
    from toronto

Fog

Fresh air (not recirculating), adjust your vent direction, A/C ON with defrost if it doesn't do this automaticaly with defrost.
    If that isn't enough crack a window or two and use the RainX Antifog.

Using the A/C with Heat will remove the moisture.

9. nac lawncare

nac lawncare Junior Member
    from ohio

wear a carhartt jacket and roll the windows all the way down. I do! it reminds me of early spring time.

10. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

wow! Thanks for all the help. Were expecting a storm here in MA on sat, Ill have to try these.

11. lazyike

lazyike Member

Try to not get in and out of your truck, you drag snow onto the floor mats = moisture in the cab. I have old bath towels down on the floor ma,t if they get wet I throw them in my tool box and replace with dry ones. I keep the inside of my truck totally dry. This has helped me the most.

12. JerseySnow

JerseySnow Junior Member
    from 908

I agree with Lazy Dry is the key

13. MainePlowGuy

MainePlowGuy Junior Member
    from Maine

I keep it about 150 degrees in my crew cab and crack the windows right before I pass out from heat stroke, that usually does it.

Funny story- I picked up my new truck last week and the windows were fogging constantly from day one. Driving kids to daycare FOG, going to work FOG, warming FOG, you get the idea.

After a few days i was getting ready to head to the dealer and ask them to figure it out but i figured I would Google it first. Turns out I was not the only one. After a little reading i had it boiled down to 2 possible issues.
    1- The computer was keeping the A/C from coming on automatically with the defrost
    2- The "recirculation flap" was be activated

Both issues apparently had service bulletins.

So I went to the dealer and they brought me right back to "THE" service guy. I explained my problem and told him what I found on line ( fully expecting to get an " oh you looked it up online now you a technician" look) he contemplated for a second went over to his computer and searched for a bulletin. He found it and fixed it on his lunch break, it was the recirculation flap.

no fog since- very nice Thumbs Up

14. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I recently used the rain-ex anti-fog wipes and I was very unhappy with the results. First off the windows still fogged up. On top of that, there was a greasy residue left that reflected the light of oncoming traffic and obscured my vision. Not a good deal in my experience.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

AC is your best friend. Our new guys always look at me funny when I tell them to leave the air condition switch on in the tractors. also keeping your carpet dry really helps in trucks. After we put weather tech mats in our trucks the windows stay pretty much fog free. We're carpets create a lot of moisture in the cab which contributes to the fog.

16. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I usually start the night with the heat on high to un freeze the truck and warm up the cab then i turn the fan on low with the dial set to mix, right between AC and heat with it set to defrost. I also usually have the window down halfway. this has kept my windsheild clear so far.

17. RTEnt

RTEnt Member

Make sure to keep the air intake vents under your wipers as clean as possible. Snow and ice buildup creates a lot of problems.

18. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

You need these--problem solved. I've put them on every plow truck I've either had or been in charge of. Maybe $60/set, worth every penny--WeatherTech ONLY. All others are just poseurs. Makes for happy operators.

[​IMG]

19. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Hell I never have fogged windows. I plow all night with defrost cranked and drivers window all the way down. I wear a tshirt, a long sleeve tshirt, and a sweatshirt. I am never usually cold and I have always plowed with window down. You can see alot more that way too when your in a lifted truck. Window down for problem resolved.

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I run my defrost and have my driver's side window rolled down a little.