1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Foggy windows while plowing.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sir spaniourd, Dec 19, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem while I plow. I found myself numerous times using an old t-shirt cleaning all the windows, scraping the ice from the back windows and driving sometimes with the windows open because otherwise I see nothing. Does anyone have any good tip to prevent fog and ice from appearing?

by the way, Thanks Moderator for bringing back the spell check.:nod:
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I run my defrost at full blast most of the time, and my windows stay clear as soon as the truck is warm, and this is in an old Chevy LOL
  3. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

in my truck the windshield is fine, both side windows have a small clearance just enough to see over both mirrors, but if I have to back up it's almost impossible. i used once a defroster spray but it would leave a fine film on the window and freeze.
  4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I use fog-x on the insides and wax or use rain-x on the outside this keeps the snow from sticking to the out side and the fog from forming on the inside.

but most the time the heaters on hi. and the windows are down so i dont notice much.
  5. craack

crack your window an inch (pretend you are smoking) and run the heater until your comfortable. You will notice significant difference in the fog problems...I got my truck tinted this week and cant open my windows AT ALL untill the tint bonds and I had a H#ll of a time with fog last night becuase i wasn't able to crack my window as i usually do!
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have the ext. cab back windows fog a lot what i do is put on the face vents and push the pass. seat all the way down. Also if you keep the snow off the vents by the bottom of the front window that helps to.
  7. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Same reply fog & rain x on the windows work wonders. I also have a small portable defrost heater that I use when it gets too moist in the truck. Remember the old time fans that every rig had? The key is keeping moisture off the windows. Try to dry out the inside as often as possible to keep the humidity down.
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You need to make sure that the fresh air intake is not blocked with snow,etc..
    Also on many newer vehicles you can run the aircondtioner with the heat on and this removes the excess moiture that causes the fogging.
  9. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I usually have the heater blowing on high on my feet and the windows wide open. Allows me to hear the truck more and see better.No fog and best of all no ice build up at the bottom of the windshield.
  10. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I almost always have the windows open too with the heat on my dogs.
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

There's your answer. Turn your air on, but crank the heat.

It'll get rid of most of the moisture in your cab.

Also, if you've got alot of layers on, and are sweating, try taking a layer or two off if you're not going to be shoveling any time too soon.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have found that works the best. Run the A/C.
  13. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

A/C is the best thing if you have it, but remember not to use the "recirculate" setting as this will keep the moisture inside the truck for some reason.
    I wish Dodge had heated back windows in the extra cab!
  14. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Same here....
  15. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I had this problem alot in one of my plow vehicles, particularly on the back window. I bought a small fan and mounted it so it oscillated across the rear window. The fan, combined with the heat turned up and it was never an issue again.
  16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Get one of these.I have one mounted to dash in GMC and have no problems. It can also help dry the floor a bit faster.
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

First clean your windows- fog tends to happen because of the contaminants on the glass- use a good window cleaner. I use an aerosol foaming product- local inspection station uses it to remove the sticker residue- if it will do that without elbow grease I'm all over it.

2nd don;t smoke in the truck- period. Cigg smoke collects on the glass and causes fogging faster.

Fog-x is great stuff- I have used it in the past, just not recently.

I normally run the heat/defroster position full blast and keep the windows open too when plowing- depends on the storm.

Another thing that helps is when you park and you know there is moisture in the truck leave the windows open a crack (I love ventshades)- the inside cools to outside temp faster keeping fog from forming on the windows overnight (it really sucks to scrape the inside of the windshield) ANd it allows the moisture to escape- I usually leave my windows cracked for a couple days after a storm and it works pretty well.
  18. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I do what some have already said. I also do my best to knock as much snow off my boots and clothing before getting into the truck and I don't run the heat on the floor cause all that evaproation has to go somewhere. Keep the window cracked about an inch. If you have a rear slider, open that once in a while, don't keep wet stuff in there and slap the ice and snow off your floor mats often. If you still have fog after doing all of this, you may want to check for a coolant leak in your heater core :(
  19. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Fan of the fan

My truck does not have AC in it, so thats out. I just get the 8 -9 inch fan with the spring clip and put it were I need it. I always try to keep a window cracked open. The fogging problem for me depends on the snow tracked into the truck. So I try to keep my boots cleaned when I get in.

J & B
  20. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

There have been plenty of replies, and great ideas....I run with my heater on full blast half defrost half feet....and my driver side window all the way down and passenger down enough for me to see the mirror.....I have tinted windows so I can see better with the windows down and allows me to run the heat to keep the windows clear....works well...