1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fogged up windows while plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Feb 21, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

anyone have this problem.i have tried everything to keep my windows from fogging but nothing seems to work.it only happens while im plowing
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Running defrost with AC on helps,as well as cracking the windows a bit.Make sure your not using the recirculate position or that the recirc door isn't sticking.

There are some anti-fog treatments that help.Having good clean windows will help too.Don't use windex,use a good spray foam type automotive window cleaner and newspaper to clean the windows.
  3. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Well, if you leave the girlfriend at home it will stop!.....;)
  4. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

crack the window a bit and leave warm air blowing on high. That usually clears mine up and then just keep it on low and keep the window cracked after it clears and it should stay that way
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, crack open the window a bit and turn the heater on high. When it clears out, you can turn the heater down some so it does not get too hot in truck cab.
  6. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

thanks guys for the input.i know its a dumb thread to start but i just felt other people have had this problem.

thats how i got my 1 year old little girl.know more fogging the truck windows up with my girlfriend anymore.learned my lesson.now we have two kids.i think she got her first little girl fogging up a honda civics windows......LOL LOL.something about cars and trucks i guess....LOL
  7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Is that called AUTOEROTICISM?
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i think keeping the truck defrosted during a storm is the hardest part of plowing. i find if you put the heat right in between hot and cold with defrost on, and crack both windows a bit, your defrosting problems wont be as bad.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

And here my wife thought I was weird plowing with the window open and the defroster running with the heat turned up. I tried to explain to her that the defroster kept the windshield clear, but tended to make it warm so I kept the window open. I'd decided I must be the only person in the world to plow like that.
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

During extremely heavy snowfall, my windows fog so bad I have to park the truck. The defroster can't keep up. It happened during this weeks storm, I switched to the skid steer for a while.

Cracking the windows also helps to vent the evaporated moisture which helps keep things clearer. No matter what I tried this time it didn't work.
  11. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I thought what it might be is a leaking heater core. The windows in one of my plow trucks were always fogging up. We ever had to keep a towel in the truck. I noticed a slight smell of antifreeze, checked the carpet by the heater core, and found it was leaking. Replaced it and the problem was solved.
  12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

funny you should say that because one of the trucks does smell like Antifreeze,but there isn't any leaks.while im plowing the truck will push coolant out.my father was the first owner of this truck and it has been doing this since it was new.its a ford L9000,but all my trucks do it.i keep a towel in each one.i will keep that in mind when i service my fleet this weekend.i just wish if they made something to apply to the windows to help out
  13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

FOGGING windows in my ex-cab is a pain. Tried
    everything A/C on, window down, recirc. on/off.
    Just wipe em, off and keep pushing !..........geo
  14. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

They do fog because of the moisture content in the cab.

This could be from as mentioned a leak with the anitfreeze, but it can also be from working outside then when you get in the truck you are sweaty and add too much moisture.

This last one explains why Mike has so many kids....hahaha just kidding. I think we've all been there and done that. Aint it fun though? ;)
  15. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

not when you have to rug rats to worry about.started out being one which isn't mine.now i have 2.i knew her for about 2 years before we started dating.i met her just before she had her first.shes the greatest girl i ever met.shes into NASCAR more than me.now right there thats hard to find guys right.plus she likes doing home remodeling which i hate doing.she just finished are bathroom.she gutted the whole thing.she likes mowing the lawn with the Z also.but i always said that i was happy with one kid and i would be careful and keep it that way.......i was wrong.......LOL LOL
  16. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Well I think you need to be out mowing and plowing more. That could stop this problem too....hahaha
  17. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

true but she use to help out with the plowing and mowing.we use to take long lunch breaks......LOL LOL
  18. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Ok Mike I understand now. Just use protection when fogging. Sounds like you dont want anymore little foggers running around and I do understand that too, ;)

Dont get me wrong. I love kids, and I have a 2 1/2 little girl that I adore more than anything, but 1 is enough for us. So no more fogging for us :(

I guess to bring this back to the topic you need to keep a box of rags in the truck to clean off the fog. Just in case of the long lunch's again!
  19. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

20. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i always blast the heat an roll the window down i know it sounds funny but my windows never fog an i have the window open cause its hot!!if ya ever plowed in an open cab before one window open an the heat on high is like being in the bahamas compared to an open cab case 580k!!