1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fogged headlights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ohioplowboy, Jan 26, 2006.

1. ohioplowboy

ohioplowboy Junior Member

ok this is my first post so bear with me, does anyone have any tips or tricks
    for cleaning fogged or yellow looking headlight lenses?
  2. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I usually just replace them, aftermarket ones are generally pretty cheap. Most of them are under $100/pair and make a world of difference in seeing where you're going.
  3. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

or flitz and lotz of elbow greese.
  5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok permatex makes a kit #09135 I got one at auto zone but here is a quick link
    Its got the sealer for the plastic with the wet sand.
  6. ohioplowboy

ohioplowboy Junior Member

thanks for the ideas guys. i know it would be easier to just replace them but
    since it's NOT SNOWING I have some extra time on my hands so i thought i would give it a shot.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Don't bother replqaceing them, they'll only be fogged again in a couple of years. There is a company making stickon lens guards that are UV proof- the UV is the cause of the yellowing. Can;t remember the name of the company- been trying to remember for a few months myself. After you polish them put the UV things on.
  8. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

brite idea hmmm

real headlites are glass.Plastic pure yuk.Snow duzb not melt of them wanna be platic things.so you cant see where your going and they cant see you.and them.then what a wreak waintig to happen,They car makers have quackie ideas plastic this and plastic that YUK.???can u pound a dent out of plastic.
  9. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

very easy to polish and make new again i do it all the time. you can go to eastwood and get their plastic polish and a buffing wheel or go to autozone or the like and get flitz or the mothers powerball either will work rather fast. youll be surprised on how fast n easy it is.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

well, depends on the plastic if you can pound out a dent, but I have never heard of someone sucessfully pound out a dent in glass.......

Plastic headlights melt the snow fine, and the vast number of vehicles manufactured in the past decade have been plastic lights. Aerodynamics and body designs of current vehicles make glass obsolete. The problem, and only problem is the plastic they use is not always UV stable so the top layer yellows (or fogs). My Fisher MM1 has the original plastic sealed beams and they melt snow off them just fine regularly.
  11. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

If you cover them when not in use--It takes years to yellow (4 and still looking new). UV is the killer--I just wish they were a little brighter!
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Were they brighter 4 years ago? do you have the same bulbs in the as 4 years ago? If you have the same bulbs- change them. bulbs get weaker with use.
    The plastic "looks" like new but it has oxidised in 4 years- polish them and you'll see a difference in light output. My wife's 01 looks clear, but they're not when you look close. My Ram lights are substantially dimmer than when I bought it- the lights are not "yellow", but they're not as clear and clean as they should be. it's not always going to color, but it will haze and become slightly opaque. Same effect either way.