1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 90plow, May 21, 2003.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I'm looking to put after market foglights on my 95 GMC 1500 4x4. Anyone have any pics of places to mount them or suggestions on where to put them? Also what kind of lights are the best but will not cost me a whole lot?
    Thanks
    Eric

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Probably somewere under the dashboard would be best:D Just kiddin,I've had good luck mounting on top of my front bumper,i lost a pair mounted on the bottom:mad: ,as for brand i never really checked into big brands,i pretty much bought whatever was at the Parts America or similar store at the time.

I'm sure the others will have good ideas though:waving:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your looking to mount foglamps,you'll want them down as low as possible,so they shine under the fog.Under the bumper would be best.You may have to trim the lower airdam to get a nice flush fit.They will only light up the road directly in front of the truck,and are for low speed\low visibility conditions.

If your mounting driving lamps,they can be up a little higher,or above the bumper.You can also hide them behind the grille.They are more suited for longe range illumination,and should not really be used much in front of oncoming drivers,just like high beams

Some other options are to find a used turbo diesel bumper,as they have nice openings to mount foglamps,or get an aftermarket lower airdam with recessed foglamps.

When buying lamps,stay away from the cheap brands,and spend a bit more and get some quality like Hella,PIAA,Bosch,Catz,etc.The Hello 550's are a sweet lamp,and are pretty cheap,well under $100.00 for a complete kit.Also make sure you use good quality wiring,and a relay,for best output,and safety.Most good lamp kits will have everything you need in the kit.

Click the link below for a good selection of fog and driving lamps.

rallylamps.com

Here is a pic of the Hella 550,clean and simple,and lots of good light.The Bosch units are very similar in quality and price.

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Forgot to attach pic

550.jpg

5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

These?

fog What do you think of these?
    Eric
    ps: Moderator I accidentally placed this in the dodge forum some how if you feel it necessary move it to the off topic forum, sorry.

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Those are pretty nice,and you wouldn't need much of an opening to mount them in,just a lot of depth.Pretty much anything from Hella is going to be a pretty good lamp.