1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fog lights, where to mount them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shady Brook, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I want to mount some fog lamps on my truck, which is a 95 F250 with a western plow. Anyone have suggestions on mounting locations or any other hints? I am not sure where to put them so they will do their job with the plow on the truck other then elevating them above the hood.

2. Russ Van Pelt

Russ Van Pelt Junior Member

Fog lights typically are mounted as low as possible to incerase the angle between the operators eyes and the light source. Mounting fog lights above the plow may not achieve the desired objective which is increased sight distance during fog and heavy snow conditions. Ever wonder how the truckers see so well during adverse weather conditions? It is much due to the fact the angle between their lights, both headlights and fog loghts, is so great. The yellow color is used to allow the eyes to be less affected by the light reflected off of the weather conditions. However, the color alone is not going to give much of an advantage unless you can get the lights low and maximize that angle.
    Good luck in whatever your decision regarding auxillary fog lights. I hope this has helped you some.
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Russ, great post, thank you for your time. I was hoping to hear some fantastic way to mount them, but looks like that is a pipe dream. I don't think it looks to good.

Thanks anyway

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Russ is right, fog lights should be mounted as low as possible to be effective. This reduces the reflected glare from fog, in conjunction with the beams being spread wide, helps the light to penetrate without being reflected back.
  5. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I have a western plow on my Chevy and I took and mounted a pair of low profile driving/fog lights to the undersides of the light housings. Obviously I had to make a way to disconect the wires. I just took a two pole weather-tight trailer type connecter and zip tied the two ends to the plow wiring connecters. It was a very easy install, and they look cool.

As for how they work, they increase your vision in heavy snow at night like you wouldn't beleive. (I got the newer style bright amber ones with 55w halogen bulbs.) You will want to take the time to aim them just right and because they are mounted up so high you have to be courteous of other drivers. I don't use them at night if other cars are aproaching or in normal driving conditions, but they sure make it nice when you need that extra bit of light on the road or the lot.
  6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Cool man Cool

Take your lights, measure, cut two holes in your plow at the disired height. Weld mounting brackets on the back side of the plow. Go buy some scrap pieces of clear Lexan. Cut to a size larger than the holes. Drill four holes in each, use carriage bolts and mount to plow! :eek: Wala, you got your lights and Owl eyes too!;) :waving:
  7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mount in-on the blade ?? How long do you think the bulbs will last. :eek: IMO I don't think they would last very long with all the BEATING & BANGING of a snowplow at work. ;)
  8. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Get some sever service bulbs! I'm sure every knows I was just kidding. Shady Brook wanted some fantastic way to get hooked up. I got it, Neon! That's the ticket!:cool: