1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fog Lights/Driving Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SawHoss, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I have a 2000 2500 GMC Sierra and I am looking for a stock or aftermarket fog light replacement. However, I would prefer either an amber lens or amber bulb. My stock fog lights are pretty much worn out. One lets water in, the chrome reflector is all peeling off, and the other one completely lost the lens. If I can't find a good 'stock' replacement, then I will probably get a set from Auto-Zone or Farm 'n Barn. The reason I want them to be amber is because in the fog and rain especially, even when it is snowing hard and I don't have my plow on, it lights up the road really good. All of the road lines seem to pop up and be extremely visible. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy the HID 8500K blue headlight bulbs?

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think a parts store... What about Farm & Fleet or Advance Auto..

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The stock fogs are lousy anyways, you're much better served by replacing them with a quality aftermarket set like PIAA or even Hella and just find a model that fits in the openings.

8500k headlights are so blue as to be impractical...they'll look like you filled your headlights with kool aid or something. Odds are good that they're also illegal for road use in your state. If you insist on them you cna get them at pretty much any chain parts store like Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...just be aware that your nighttime visibility will be severely compromised.

4. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Have you considered HIDs as fog lights? You can get a decent set of housings and then find a pair of HIDs that are the correct color temperature.

5. bersh

bersh Senior Member

For the fogs, you are better off replacing them with aftermarket as the stock housings in your era truck were awful. Stick with a good brand (Hella) and avoid cheap stuff. You can either get a clear housing and use an amber bulb, or get one with an amber lens.

As far as your headlights, there is no such thing as an HID replacement bulb for your stock housing. There are HID retrofit kits of varying quality out there that contain a converted bulb to fit your housing that also come with the ballast, and sometimes with relays, but I wouldn't recommend them. The stock headlamp housings aren't designed for these types of bulbs, and regardless of the hype you read, they will throw a lot of stray light and glare into oncoming traffic. There are a few kits available that replace the headlamp housings with new ones designed for the HID bulb, but they are pricey. If you decide to get one of the HID retrofit kits, I have two recommendations: 1. Whatever you do don't go with an 8500K kit. This is nothing but a vanity accessory and reduces the actual light output to below stock halogen levels. Stick with something in the 4300-4600K range as this is the purist white and most output you can get. 2. Spend the money on a good kit. Those cheap ebay kits are garbage. xenondepot.com has some good kits in the ~$200 range - http://www.kbcarstuff.com/HID_Kits_HID_Xenon_Conversion_Quality_Proven_since_2001_s/216.htm.

Honestly, the best headlight upgrade you can do is get a set of HIR bulbs. I've got them in lows and highs in both my trucks and they are very nice. Much better than stock. http://hirheadlights.com/