1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fog Lights and Tow Hooks?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fordistough, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Hi guys, just wanted to mention something that really frosted me. When I bought an '04 F-550, they told me that they only came with an option of putting the fog lights on or the tow hooks. Naturally I chose the tow hooks, but why they couldn't get both I don't know. I think they can now though.

-Thann

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

on my 03 ram i have fog lights but no tow hooks and im pissed because i there have been a million times were i could have used them

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My f250 2002 came with both.

4. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

companies 550 is an XL so the boss didn't opt for foglights but it has towhooks and they arn't anywhere near where the foglights would go. The tow hooks are in the same spot as on the 250 and 350... you would think so would the fog lights, they are the same body style afterall...sounds kinda funny

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A tip on after market fog lights. Mount them in or above the bumper.
    If you stack snow you may wipe them out on snow piles if they are mounted low. I never gave it a thought till I passed one of mine laying on the parking lot I was doing.

6. Fordistough

from USA

I have looked at the truck and I know it could fit both, but on the other models, (I.E. 250, 350, ect...) They were both an option. The truck is an XLT. I do not use this truck for plowing, and I would love to have the lights.

-Thann

7. Fordistough

from USA

P.S. This truck is an oil truck, so I do need the tow hooks.

-Thann

8. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

Ford make's a kit to install them.

9. PAplowman

PAplowman Member

There's a bunch of factory Ford foglights on ebay right now. Some even have the wiring harness with them. Buy them, and you'll be set.:drinkup:

10. Fordistough

from USA

I know I can buy them, and I probably will, but I am just wondering why Ford didn't allow me to have both. They are in different places. I have seen both on 3/4 and 1 tons.

-Thann

11. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

I would venture to guess at salesmen error. You could not believe the incorrect information I got from several dealer's when looking to buy my truck.

12. J29

J29 Senior Member

Fog Lights

Thann,
    I have a 99 F350, and fog lights weren't even an option until 01, but I bought the kit from Ford and installed them in under two hours. Can use them independently of all other lights too, which is nice. Anyways, to get to my point, the fog lights on 450s and 550s go in the same location as on all other super dutys, right in the bumper on either side of the license plate bracket. The salesman was probably just misinformed. If you do get the kit, dont wire them into the headlight switch like the instructions tell you too, then they can only operate when the headlights are on. Like I said, if you bypass them, you can use them independently. And they still turn off when you turn the truck off just in case you forget, as I know I have before. The switch mounts just under the dash near the 4x4 shifter, but its actually tucked out of the way rather nicely. Hope this helps...J.

13. Fordistough

from USA

J29, when you bypass the switch, do the fog lights turn off when you flip on the high beams? That is the law. I don't know if anyone would hastle you for it though. I do like having independant control over all my lights. What I like to do in crappy weather, is I turn on fog lights, but not head/parking lights, that way I don't wear down my alternator with all the amber and red lights, and I get the nessicary protecion from visiblity.

-Thann

14. J29

J29 Senior Member

Thann,
    My fog lights stay on when I switch to high beams. I know they are not supposed to, but I dont use the high beams unless I am by myself on the road anyways. It actually is really nice, because the high beams go way out, but the fog lights keep the area directly in front of my truck nicely illuminated. The only bad part about the location of the fog lights is that with the plow on, the headgear completely covers them up. I like where they are on F150s or Rangers. Can totally tell they were an afterthought for the ford engineers on the SDs. Hope that helps...J.

15. Fordistough

from USA

Yes, I do believe that they threw them on at the last moment, because they're not even in a spot cut out. They're just bolted into a huge slot. Also, I would love that seperate switch idea, because I like having complete control over every light on the truck.

-Thann

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My 2004 F-250 came with both....and my fog lights turn off when my high beams are on.:)