1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

foam or no foam?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by deere 332, Sep 19, 2011.

1. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

hello to all,

i just recently took off my skid steer wheels to put new tires on and discovered they were full of foam they are very heavy. my tire guy said he can send them in to be capped even with the foam on. my question is am i better for plowing purposes with the foam tires and extra weight or not? my machine is a jd 332 very heavy machine and these foam filled tires are extremely heavy. i am more concerned about getting traction then tire wear.

2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I have ran them foam filled before on my old skid I think it helped I would leave them

3. dodgeboy06

dodgeboy06 Member

Hello there, I used to have a skidloader myself and used it extensively for snow plowing,stacking and removal. Having had a couple flat tires in the middle of the night the first season due in part to unseen objects in the snow made me really apreciate having the tires foam filled in subsequent seasons. Just something to consider.... I have heard decent things about recapped tires and knew of one contreactor that ran nothing but recaps and foam filled. I am not sure what options are availible for tread/rubber combitnations for retreads now as I have been away from that area for a few years now. I would certainly check with your tire person, explaining your concerns and needs, I'm sure they can get you set up with something that would work well for you. Just my 2 cents.