1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Foam Filled Tires, DIY?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by snow game, Feb 17, 2010.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I recently came across a way to foam fill your own tires. Does any one have more info on this, where it can be purchased and how well it works if you do it yourself? I recently got a quote for 270.00 per tire for my skid steer from a local shop to fill my tires, they say it gives a good ride and will actually make the tire wear less (not as quickly) because there is less heat build up.
    Will I get double the life?
    If its cheaper to do it my self I don't mind purchasing a pump, I have plenty of machines to use it it on, just don't want to make a bad investment.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure if it's true or not bad I have heard that your wheels are junk if you ever need new tire.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

First I have not filled tires myself. Second where are you getting your info? Ride better? Have you ridden in a skid with filled tires? Obviously not, the only way I'd fill my tires is if I was only ON road. You will get longer life but it isn't because of heat it's because there isn't as much flex/roll in the tire scuffing off rubber. You can reuse the rim the tire and foam has to be cut off.

4. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Update! The product I saw on line I thought was a liquid that turned to foam. Not so, It is a liquid you pump into your tires and as you encounter leaks this liquid fill the puncture to prevent the tire from going flat. The pump runs 120.00 and a five gallon pail runs 118.00. the person I spoke to said I would need three quarts to do one 14 x 17.5 tire.