1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FMCSA Safety Orientation

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cold_and_tired, Feb 11, 2010.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've had my DOT # for almost a year and just got my letter for my safety orientation yesterday and I have a few questions.

Since I am a one man-one truck operation:

Do I need to have records for controlled substance and alcohol testing? Do I need to have a written policy in regards to the two?

Do I need to have an hours of service record? I use my truck and trailer for local landscaping and snow removal and have never traveled further than 150 air miles from home unless it was for a vacation.

This may be an oversight on my part, but do I need to have a vehicle inspection sticker from a service shop? Do I need to keep records of daily pre-trip inspections?

Thanks

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

i've had mine (DOT #) for 22 months now, still no letter (I'm not complaining mind you)

yeah, i'm pretty sure you have to have annual inspections.

dunno about the rest, guess you'll find out. :eek:

3. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but have been through a couple DOT audits. There are so many rules and regulations its impossible for anyone to say they know the rules. (refer to the F-750 thread where a trooper doesn't know the law) Any way, your local trucking Assoc. is a good place to get good info.
    You do have to be enrolled in drug testing, you can join a nationwide company that randomly enters your name into their database and they will contact you when you or an employee (if you hire any) are selected) That company will also have a written policy or you can write your own (one positive test and your gone).
    I think you only need a driving log if you drive more than 60 miles from shop. If you don't have one you will be put "out of service" which will require you to sit on the side of the road for many hours.
    For my audit I needed 90 days of daily inspections and noted repairs made. Inspections are required in RI for vehicle and trailer. I don't think you need a DOT inspection sticker that is only for certain trades.

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

You'll need drug & alcohol program information, but you won't get in trouble for not having it at your initial Safety Audit (not to be confused with a "Compliance Review", where they crawl up your...well, you know). HOS can be satisfied with a simple time sheet.

Anything not in compliance will be noted and you are allowed to correct it--no biggie.

HTH

5. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I agree with westhardt. Ive had 2 cause I have 2 DOT numbers they are good on the initial. You only need the drug test and crap if you are over 26K GVW though 10-25999 dont have all of the requirements. I get to chuckling about the fact I had to do an application to work for myself as well as I have to do the driving records on myself annually. They must think Im gonna pull a fast one on myself

6. Westhardt Corp.

You are very sneaky. You might get fired.

:D

7. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

2 Different LLCs

8. Westhardt Corp.

**whistle**

9. plowking15

plowking15 Member

Some of the regulations are different if you run intrastate as opposed to interstate. Interstate will almost aways require US DOT numbers. I see you have a gooseneck trailer,if it is over 10,000 lbs when in combination with a tow vehilce,you may need a CDL class A with pintle hook endorsement., medical card.I belong to my state association, pay 140.00 for the yearin dues plus 40.00 to be in the drug consortium sponsored by the state association. My septic tank truck is 54,000lbs. no longer run interstate,I went back to commercial plates and no longer carry apportioned plates[ could get a 48 hour permit to go out of state if needed].My landscape trailer is under 10,000gvw,if I upgrade to a larger trailer and larger backhoe,I'll need the class A pintle hook endorsement. plowking

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Since I have been in business, I have only done work in the state and have not traveled outside the state for any commercial reason. In fact, all of my work has been within 150 air miles of the shop.

My trailer is rated for 14k pounds and it is registered for that. I have had a class A CDL for a few years and I do have a valid medical card.

The meeting is on Monday and the officer is actually coming by the office. He said that this is just an orientation visit. No inspections, no tickets. He just wants to review any paperwork that I currently have and let me know what else I need to stay legal.

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had a DOT number for over 4 years, and have never heard anything from them since the number was issued. ( knock on wood)

12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Let us know what he says, how it goes, what he's looking for, etc.
    thanks

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What is a pintle hook endorsement?

14. Westhardt Corp.

IDK how other states are, but I'd bet they're similar.

Class A (CDL only): any combination or single vehicle, no air brake endorsement required (included in A)
    Class B (CDL only): any single vehicle with a trailer 10K or less; air brakes require endorsement
    Class C (CDL opt.): any single vehicle <26,001K GVWR; trailer 10K or less; air brakes req. endorsement
    Class D (std ID-10-T): any single vehicle <16,001 GVWR; trailer 10K or less

Endorsements obtainable:
    -air brake
    -hazmat
    -double/triple (which isn't even legal here LOL)
    -tanker (hazmat/tanker combination available)
    -passenger
    -charter bus
    -school bus

Any vehicle over #8000 (trailers 10K+) plated weight needs biannual safety lane inspections (annual w/USDOT#)

I'm with Crete--never seen a pintle hook endorsement, although with some of the high-quality drivers I've seen using them, it might not be a bad idea.

:laughing:

Do you have carrier authority, or is it just a registrant DOT#? (which should not be displayed on vehicles, and are not subject to audits--merely for record keeping)

15. cretebaby

What is an "air brake endorsement"? LOL

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. Westhardt Corp.

Why I oughta...

[​IMG]

17. plowking15

plowking15 Member

The pintle hook endorsement on a CDL-A license restricts the operator to a combination that does not include fifth wheel[eighteen wheelers]. The DOT officer at my business association meeting explained that they felt drivers were taking advantage of using a pintle hook setup to acquire a tractor traIler CDL-A, A CDL-A taken on a semi truck trailer combination could also be used to drive a pintle hook . What really sets off the DOT,is RV'ers who have operators license can tow without any restrictions if for personal use . plowking

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  18. cretebaby

So is it a restriction or an endorsement?

19. Westhardt Corp.

I am so confused.

20. plowking15

plowking15 Member

It is an endorsement that restricts the user to a vehicle in the pintle hook category. I don't know if gooseneck trailers fall into this category,they are technically fifth wheel. Pintle hook is easier to see around and smaller then tractor trailer to take test,hence the reason for endorsement. A landscaper who needs tthe pintle hook endorsement shouldn't have to go to school for driving a tractor trailer if not needed in his profession. DOT has a field day here with landscapers with trailers that require the endorsement,medical cards etc.Dump trucks with construction trailers depending on weight, fall into pintle hook category. plowking