1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flyers and Response Rates

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by DJL, Feb 4, 2005.

1. DJL

DJL Senior Member

A few questions for those that send out flyers. I'm asking more for my landscape company (which offers snow plowing/de-icing services).

First, the cost. I went to a local copy place and got quoted the following:

For 2000 total copies the cost is $0.35 per copy or $700 total. I was going to fold the flyers in half, place the return/mailing addresses on them, and use the bulk rate postage stamp. Now, I asked the place to quote me a price on having the flyers folded already. He came back with the following...For folding the flyers in half, adding my return address, and placing the bulk rate stamp on the flyer it's an additional $122. All told it would come out to be $822 for 200 copies or ~$0.42 per flyer. Is this "in the ballpark" for flyers?

I should mention these are color copies and there are three color photos on the flyer.

Now, my next question would be what to expect. Am I estimating correctly when I assume (big assumption, I know) ~10% of the flyers I send out will actually generate a phone call? And of those phone calls could I assume half would become accounts? I'm trying to figure out how many flyers I need to send out to get an additional 15-20 accounts.

Also, I plan on sending out the flyer late next week. Keep in mind this is for lawn/landscape but it does mention snow/ice services. I plan on following the flyer up with a second one around 4 weeks (mid-march) later with some type of "act now" statement. Then, depending on if I receive any responses at all I would send out a third in April, when the season has already begun to take swing.

Thoughts, suggestions, pros/cons with what I'm thinking? thanks in advance. :waving:

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Sorry, I meant to say "estimate 1% of the flyers would generate a phone call", NOT the 10% that is above. So if all 2000 were sent I'm expecting ~20 phone calls. thx again.

3. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

i already did that. From approximately 1000 fliers you get a response of a 3%.
    I paid $100 for 1000 fliers, black and white. For the price you are paying I would go with a company that can send postcards with direct mail. it would look more professional. I fold my own fliers and put them in mailboxes every month or so. around 200 fliers each time. So far in 2 months I got 5 customers. Not bad. I think if you get 30 or 40 call from those 2000 flyers will not be bad at all. Also timing is key. Many people don't think spring yet so they are most likely to toss the flyer away. From those 5 customers that I got all of them called me because they had some landscaping projects but they didn't know who to call I then they got my flier in the mail and they called me. I guess it was a good timing.
    Good luck.

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Try vistaprint.com They have 2000 Full Color Brochures (Basically the same as your 8.5" x 11" flyer, with a fold in it) for $400. That will have both sides printed, so you can put your name, return address, etc on them.

If you can fit your message on a postcard, a standard size postcard with full color on one side is less than half price, and postage will also be alot less.

Kevin

5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

1% is an average return on a post card mailing......Rob

6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

thx to everyone for their input. It is appreciated :waving: