1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flushing the rams

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BPK63, Sep 12, 2006.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

New guy here, new to everything but reading like crazy to learn. I bought an old Chevy truck with a Meyer plow with E47 pump. I got the manual on flushing the pump but can't find anything on the rams. Currently everything works great, and I put the plow and pump in my garage to stay out of the elements. I really need this thing to work this winter. I only have it to plow my own driveway which is just too big for a snowblower anymore. Last storm I was out there 5 hours, no more of that for me. I'm looking for info on how to flush the rams and any other tips you might want to give me. I want this thing in top shape for winter. Thanks.

2. jfpjr

jfpjr Junior Member

Flushing the rams should be no problem. Fill the unit with some flush fluid and rock the plow left and right manualy to "pump" the flush fluid through. Then refill with Hydraulic oil and repeat to make sure the unit is completely filled.

If the unit is fairly old and was not serviced by the previous owner, it may make sense to do a seal kit on the unit while it is empty since this is the best time.

Good Luck

3. urhstry

urhstry Junior Member

Is it difficult for a newbie to do a seal kit? Can rams be that old and abused that they can't be rebuilt/resealed?

4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm kind of looking for a step by step on how to flush and refill the rams. This is my first plow. Do you just stick the hose in a bottle of fluid to refill? Never touched a plow before this year but I know the fluid should be changed before the snow flies.

5. PlowDaddy

PlowDaddy Junior Member

Here is how I did mine.
    1. Took the rams off the plow.
    2. Took the hoses off the rams.
    3. Drained out the hydraulic fluid, filled with kerosene as per the meyer manual, sloshed it around somewhat and then drained out the kerosene.

Also took the quick connect off the hoses and blew them out with air, put some kerosene in and washed it back and forth, then blew it out with air again.

Then i poured new fluid in the cylinders, screwed on the hose, poured fluid in the hose to fill it up, and then put the quick connect back on.

I used yellow natural gas thread tape from lowes on the fittings.

When you take off the cylinders the rams won't be fully extended but you can still dump out whatever fluid is in them. They do drain rather slowly and small amounts of fluid keep draining out for a few minutes. I just kept tipping them back and forth as I drained out the last amount of fluid.

I like to fill the cylinder and hoses this way, since it is disassembled anyway, to make sure there is no air in them.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We normally drain the entire system, flush and refill. Meyer makes a excellent flush ( their best product in my humble opinion).
    Hook the plow to the truck and raise, remove the hoses and let drain while you manually angle the blade left and right to drain the fluid from the rams. Lower the plow and drain the fluid from the pump, you may have to manually push the lift ram doen to the bottom of it's travel. reassemble and refill the system with flush. Raise, lower, angle left, angle right repeat numerous times. Drain system as before and refill with proper fluid. If you use Meyer flush any residue fluid left is compatible with Meyer fluid.

7. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the replies. I used PlowDaddy's method since I had to replace the old hoses anyway. Thanks PlowDaddy. I like that method as it gets all the air out of the system. I bought genuin Meyer fluid and flush. Now the plow is all painted, flushed and all put back together, pivot pins are even greased :D Lot of good info on this site. Put it on the truck and everything still works so I hope it's good to me this winter. I store everything in the garage until I need to use it. All this and this is just to plow my own driveway and nothing else. I could go on about how hellish it's been over the years to clear my driveway with a blower but I think everybody gets the idea. :D

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

where in ct are you ?

9. PlowDaddy

PlowDaddy Junior Member

PlowDaddy help! Plowdaddy happy!:gunsfiring:

10. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm in Naugatuck

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member