1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

flushing out pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SBrav77, Dec 20, 2005.

1. SBrav77

SBrav77 Junior Member

Ok, here it goes. Most of you will probably laugh at this. I was wondering the best way to flush out the hydralic pump on my older western style pump. The pump uses standard ATF and not hydralic fluid. There is a small chance that there is tiny amounts of metal shavings that got into the pump. I want to make sure it's clean. And anyway, the fluid needs to be changed.
    Thanks

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have always used kerosene to flush all pumps. Won't damage seals and o-rings, mixes with the ATF or hydro fluid and is thin enough to flow through and clean out the pumps. I usually flush, then fill with a bit of kerosene and run the unit left and right with hoses and couplers off so that the fluid pushes out the ports.

Don't forget to push fluid out of the angle cylinders as well.