1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flushing Meyer Pumps

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Brucester1, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

i am new to Meyer plows.i want to flush the pump on a used plow i just bought. i was told to use seafoam. has anyone ever done this? any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

2. dts

dts Junior Member

i flushed mine other day. I just pulled the drain plug and waited all was out then put little new hydro in to make sure all out.and mine works fine..

3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

drain it . fill it with regular tranny fluid . run it again . drain it . use only meyer hydraulic fluid . reason being is that regular trans fluid has Paraffin (wax) in it and tends to harden up the lower the temperature which Meyers pumps dont like .
    also SEARCH how to flush your power angle rams on the blade! have fun , relax and enjoy making great $ during the winter .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

i used kerosene an then put meyer fluid back in mine i do that every year

5. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I use spray brake cleaner . than flush with s.a.m. fill, run don't forget the filters

6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Who would know better than the company that makes the plows. They want you to use the stuff that makes their plows really shine.

I can understand changing from Kerosene to Mineral Spirts because Meyer never actually recommended using Kerosene from what I read. But they did say in their previous manual (which has changed), that if you do use it to flush and clean the system, that you should use a Napthenic based cleaner or their Hydra Flush that is wax free to get rid of any Kerosene left in the system and then put in the recommended plow oil. Now the manual is actually saying to use Mineral Spirts or Hyraulic oil to flush and then put in the recommended plow oil. They didn't even mention their Hydra flush which is sort of cutting their own throat being they sell it. So I would assume that getting out all the Mineral Sprits is as not necessary like getting all the Kerosene out.

If you read all the back posts or use the Search tab, the guys will swear by this and that to clean their systems as well as which oil to use. Logic tells me that if my regular plow fluid would clean it so good like Meyers is saying, then dump it out and replace it, you won't need to flush it.
    Of course I have noticed a lot of junk come out with the flush that didn't come out with the plow fluid. So much for using plow fluid as a flushing agent.

7. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

o k thanks 4 the input

8. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

Don't forget to flush your angle cylinders when you flush your pump.

9. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

and how do you do yours

10. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

11. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

it works 4 me .thank a lot bradt

12. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

and, it works better with a friend helping. i tried it alone and i ended up using a box of shop towels...

13. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

my thoughts exactly .thank,s

14. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

In Nov. the New Manual was actually saying to use Mineral Spirts or Hyraulic oil to flush and then put in the recommended plow oil. They didn't even mention their Hydra flush which is sort of cutting their own throat being that they sell it. So I would assume that getting out all the Mineral Sprits is not necessary like getting all the Kerosene out is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

NOTE December I just check the new manual again and it's been changed agaiin. They now recommend using their Hyra Flush or Napatha and to use the Mineral Spirts for cleaning the filters. I guess their throat was bleeding too bad. Just remember--All decisions are made because of Money.