1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Flushing A Frame Cylinders

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Neil64, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Neil64

Neil64 Member

I just had my used E60 installed on my truck. I also had the fluid changed and filters cleaned. I couldn't take the A frame with me to the install as I had no way of getting it in the bed.

As the A frame has sat out in the elements for 2 years since it was last used, I am thinking that I should flush the fluid in the angle cylinders.

Would you agree this needs to be done? If so, what is the best way to do it without contaminating the fluid in the pump?

Anyone know of a written procedure?

Thanks...

Neil

2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi Neil

I know we have talked about this a million times but when I tried that stupid Search Function it didn't understand English.

I do try to keep a record of everything that I read that I think might be of use to me in the future.

I don't recall who said this on Plow Site, but here it is.

I flush by,
    Setting a-frame on block so plow is off ground.
    Drain pump
    Drain angle rams by using extra set of quick connects into a bucket, manually moving plow back and forth
    Fill pump with naptha
    Cycle all functions of pump
    Drain pump and angle rams.
    I repeat above using clean naptha until naptha comes out clean.
    I buy naptha by the gallon and will filter my last flush(came out looking clean). Then use it for the first flush on the next plow.

A good method to bleed the system of air is to park with the angle cylinders pointed down hill so that the ports in the cylinders are higher than the front part of the cylinder. Start angling the plow and this will push the air up and out of the pressure relief fitting.

John

3. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Help

I got the plow on the truck and with it still disconnected from the pump, I was unable to move the plow from side to side. I drove the blade into a tree to get it to move side to side. I then removed one of the fittings from the disconnects allowing both hoses to drain into a bottle while I pushed the blade from side to side using the tree. I was able to expel about 1/3 to 1/2 a quart of fluid. The fluid is still blue. Problem is the blade is still is very hard to move side to side when driving into it with the truck in 4x4. It sounds like the rams are binding. I can not move the blade side to side by hand or by kicking it. This is with little to no fluid in the rams. I figure the moldboard and A frame have been sitting in the same location (outside) since 2005 or 2006. There is no pitting on the exposed part of the cylinders. Should I try to connect the rams to the pump and get new fluid in there or will the rams binding screw up the pump? Is there anything I can do to free up the rams?
    I still have the old fluid and post a picture of it if need be.

Thanks...

Neil

4. huss691981

huss691981 Member

Let's see, Only thing on the Aframe that can bind is the king bolt.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. huss691981

huss691981 Member

First connect the 2 rams togher with the quick connects. Try to move the blade then. If it goes, no prob with rams. If it dosen't rams are prob stuck. If rams are stuck, try to back off the gland nut a little and see if it mover. If that does the trick and it dosen't leak fluid then roll with it and consider getting yourself some new angle rams. Let us know how it works. Mike

6. Neil64

Neil64 Member

It works

Well I connected the angle rams to the pump and they seem to work fine after adding the correct amount of fluid. Sometimes I hear a little binding but it could be the angle ram bolts squeaking when torque is applied. How tight should the bolts be? I know I could not loosen them much with an impact so I am not sure I can tighten them either.

Now I need some snow to make use of the plow.

Thanks...

Neil

7. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

good luck with that, i feel your pain. nothing but rain here:cry:

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The bolts on the angle rams only need to be set into the nylon lock on the nut. The mounts should not be "squeezed" against the rams.

9. EricR

EricR Junior Member
    from mass.

plow pump

I have an electric western plow pump. and today it starting moving really slow. I hear the motor still seems to be running fine, but the plow is moving really slow, any ideas on what i can do.

10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site.

You might try the Western Plow Discussion at the bottom of the page in Forum Jump. OR someone from the Meyer section may have both and be able to give you an answer. Good luck!

11. EricR

EricR Junior Member
    from mass.

thank you!