1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tunlrat, Jan 22, 2010.

1. tunlrat

tunlrat Junior Member
    from mass

i was wondering if you can mix atf with fishers blue fluid or do you have to drain out all of the blue fluid.Also can i use atf on fisher plows .It is a mm2
  2. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

i think in a pinch you can use pretty much any lightweight oil fluid to finish the job & get you home, but for what it costs, i'd drain and replace it all with an approved fluid as soon as you can. i recently bought an older minute mount with the insta act pump and it drained out red, so assumedly atf, and the plow had always functioned fine. i drained the tank, rams, and hoses and it took about 2 full quarts to do the entire system. at $6-$8 a quart, i'd go with the real plow fluid as soon as you can. cheap price for peace of mind.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely want to use "plow fluid" not ATF on that MM2. Any brand, Fisher, Boss, Meyer, etc. is OK. But use one brand and stick with it. Do a thorough drain, including cleaning the reservior, draining the hoses and rams.
  4. LON

LON Senior Member

use ATF only in a pinch! With the heavier ATF in there you will see more water intrusion into the system.
  5. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

mixing ATF with the blue is a really big mistake...... an absolute no no !!
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, I would use brake fluid to top off in a pinch before ATF. I wonder how synthetic brake fluid would work in place of the Fisher Blue........
  7. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Is the blue stuff synthetic?
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not that I am aware.

Thinking more about the brake fluid, I'm guessing it would lack the lubrication properties required for the pump...
  9. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I would not use brake fluid at all.It would soften all the seals and destroy the pump.
  10. plowinginma

from MA

brake fluid would be a no no..LOL but maybe an option before mixing the blue and red..
  11. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Why is the red so bad?? I ran it in my ezv for four years!! Guess I was lucky.
  12. plowinginma

from MA

I personally run only red in everything.... it is available at every 24 hr store across america.. try finding blue at 2 am.. I always carry a blue quart or 2 and don't even run it..LOL and a gallon or two at home..

I personally think the blue has advantages.. but not where I live.. but what ever you run.. just don't mix the 2
  13. serafii

serafii Senior Member

from what i was told u shouldnt be using red ATF in the insta-act. dealer told me they require nothing but fisher blue. the old speedcast takes ATF but insta act is nothing but blue...but i dont think a lil bit of red would hrt just in time to finish the job
  14. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

They say that ATF is something like 10 times thicker than plow fluid and will cause problems in super cold weather.I usually flush mine with ATF since I never have enough blue on hand and then run the blue during plow season.I ran ATF for 20 years in my old plow and never had an issue.
  15. tmltrans

tmltrans Member

ATF can be a real problem in very cold weather. Plow will run slow and has to put a real strain on pump motor. That said, at moderate temps upper teens and twenties I have not noticed much of a difference. I was really surprised to find out that the dealer I bought my 8' HD MM2 plow at uses ATF in everything. This is SE MI and temps don't normally go real low, still I switched to plow fluid, which is basically aircraft hydraulic fluid, when I did first oil change.