1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid spray issue

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay so I put the my EX80 on today and the spreader to check everything out and make sure it is all good to go. I noticed while moving the plow around there was fluid going everywhere. I checked the hoses at all the rams, and going into the pump. No leaks there. Then I took the cover off and there is fluid all over the coils. I wiped the area off and then moved the plow with the cover off standing as close as possible to the front to see anything. When I hit the down button, that is when it sprays everywhere, mainly once the blade contacts the ground. Not sure if this is normal, but will need to get fixed. And my turn signals do not work on the lights. The lights come on, park lights work but no turn signals. They work on the truck, just not the plow. I had the plow installed back in August when they didnt have to speed thru the process, but it looks like somethings may have been overlooked. I hope this is the only issues it has, all these little nickle and dime things as I call them are what made me get rid of the Meyer. I would like some feedback first before I take it to the dealer. Glad it is doing this in November and not the first snow storm of the season:gunsfiring:

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well hopefully it is just a simple o-ring issue. I dont really want to touch it since it is brand new still and under warranty. I just took the blade back off and with the lights on, the turn signals work. Lights off, no turn signals????:confused: Seems like an oddball thing to me!!

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Did you add oil to the plow? If it's spraying from the breather (under the coils) that's usually from the reservoir being overfilled. Your resevoir shouldn't be much more than 1/2-2/3 full. If you didn't add oil, I can't imagine why it would be venting oil after sitting...

As far as your turn signals go - do you have parking lights when the headlights are off? If you don't, you must have the automatic headlights. This was a fairly uncommon option, and is addressed with our current harness, but would require a slight modification to last years harness. Your dealer can definitely take care of it (have them call me).

Obviously your dealer should take a look at it, but this might give you a head start.

I think what X-Dogg might be referring to is the bonded washer on the lift fitting. We had a few bad ones out there that would leak - but that would only show up while the plow was lifted.

Those are the only two leaks that I've really seen (aside from an occasional installation damaged o-ring). As far as any other leaks go - the problem with shipping a plow pre-assembled and full of oil is that nobody reads the instructions where it says to "CHECK AND TIGHTEN ALL FITTINGS".

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Scott, I have not added one drop of oil to it. Shouldnt have to since it is a new plow, lol. But I did look and the level is maybe an inch below the fill hole. Im guessing that is overfull?? I have a fluid sucker and can get some out if necessary. I think it is the fluid spraying from the vent by the coils since it sprays more towards the back 2 coils instead of closer to the front.

Yes I do have the auto headlights on my truck. I dont know if I have parklights with the headlights off. I will have to check that but that sounds like the problem. I will get a hold of Eshelman's tomorrow and get that going. Thanks Scott

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Just Wondering is the oil that is comming out a clear blue fluid or is it kind of a milky blue color?

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yes it is a clear blue fluid that is coming out. If it is milky colored, then there is water getting into the system.

7. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

I was just wondering as you said making sure water did not get into the system

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I did get it fixed. As Scott recommended, I took some of the excess fluid out and presto!!! No more fluid spray once the plow is lowered. Plus I got a lil spare plow fluid now, lol.

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to hear you got it fix Tom.

The last thing you need is to worry about having a problem with a brand new plow.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

That is for sure Larry. I buy something new to have little to no issue, but there is always something. Keeps my life interesting none the less, lol

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Update on the lights: It goes in to Eshelmans at 1:00 today to have a new headlight harness installed. Hopefully that will take care of the parking light/turn signal issue.

12. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

I'm wondering why the plow was overfilled during installation?! And why didn't the problem present itself after it was installed when you brought it home....That seems odd.

But when I had my MD75 in for service a month ago, I was told specifically that you should never have it filled no more than 2/3 full with fluid.

Good luck with your lights.

13. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

Just in time, too.....I'm on the Westside of Cleveland, so I doubt I'm goin out this weekend, but you guys should have an event or two here on Friday morning I think.

Be safe, make money.

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks Nelsen. I took it from the dealer to home back in August when it was installed (august) Never paid much attention to it since it went straight into the garage. Dont know why it was overfilled, but I fixed it.

The lights are fixed. I guess there is some kind of TSB or something regarding my issue. All done now and ready for the snow now!!!

15. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Sound good Tom Im glad you have all your issues solved hopefully no more ( Yellow ) issues LOL