1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid seeping from pump

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dt5150, Feb 26, 2014.

1. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

thinking this is not normal?

took my plow off the truck this morning (1 month old super-v ld). you're supposed to put it in float and push the lifting arm down as part of the dismount process. when i did that, i noticed this fluid seeping out of the top.

you can see where it's coming from as well as where it's dripped onto the hose below.
    [​IMG]

a closer shot..
    [​IMG]

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not normal. Should get replaced under warranty

3. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

yeah i didn't think so. at first i though it was possibly grease on the piston but it's definitely not grease. gonna contact the dealer.

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It's probably the top seal.

5. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

that's what i was thinking.

6. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

The only way fluid gets out that top seal is if the packing on the ram inside has failed, allowing fluid to bypass the piston. Warranty replacement of the lift ram is suggested.

7. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

thank you. spoke with the dealer, gonna bring it down there in the next few days.

does anyone think this may have something to do with the stacking stop bolts i removed? in this thread..

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=154116

is it possible that after removing these bolts the ram over-exteneded itself when raising the plow, causing it to fail?

8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

In theory. I would put them back in before going to the dealer, and also make him look at the damage to the stops.

9. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i was thinking the same thing.

is that possibly the cause though?

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Could be. Overextending the cylinder could tear up the seals.

11. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

interesting. it doesn't seem like it's over-extending. it stops raising when the stops make contact. who knows i guess.. i'll put the bolts back on and bring it down. i'll be sure to mention the damage those bolts are causing too.