1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Reservoir...GONE after 2 years?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Gicon, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I bought the plow brand new 2 years ago. MM2, SSX. The reservoir is shot, and visibly leaking. I know the oil pans on Fords are known for going bad, but I didnt know Fisher was the same way.....Anyone heard of this??? I wonder how much I am going to get soaked for this part.....

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

between 3 & $500 I think. CPW @ the top carries them.

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Have you heard of these going in 2 years????

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

mine's been good for 4 years (I think) now. Knock on wood.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Its unusal for a tank to go bad that quick. Fisher is pretty good about cutomer support and with a little help form your dealer (if they are any good) you could probably get it covered under warranty. If your dealer wont help, call fisher yourself. Have the date of purchase and pump serial number handy when you call. Remeber to be polite, this may be an issue that is just starting to show up with tanks around a certian production date and they dont yet know theres a problem.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Shot? You mean rusted out?

Haven't seen one rot out that was only 2 years old...

The reservoir's are around $60 or so and easy to change so it's not a major issue to fix...

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am not so concerned with the part or the fix, more or less the reasoning.

8. db27

db27 Member

Did it fail because of rust thru or did it crack?
    If rust im sure its cause most seem to put the plow away after a ride down a salt covered road and let it sit for weeks or months without a wash.

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I dont know why it failed. If I knew, I would have already had the problem fixed....right?

10. ==========================================
    Not really----Is oil coming through a rusty spot or a clean one ???? Use your eyes---VERY EASY !!!

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

What if I am legally blind, than how would I do that? It looked like the drip was coming from a clean spot. Than the drip was no longer. Drip or no drip, there is still no backpressure keeping the pistons from moving unwarrantably.

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Ron, can I get you on the radio at KA2IIA ? Lets talk there....

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use your fingers, that's one way my wife gets deals with those situations. If you're legally blind what the he!! are you doing plowing snow. I am nothing if not regularly amazed by the things the blind can do but plowing snow is not one of them.

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I can plow snow just fine. Now I may hit more things than you do, or show up at the wrong property a half dozen times per storm, but hey, no one is perfect.

15. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Pull off the resevoir and check the sealing surface that the o-ring seals against. I have seen a few units have surface rust in this area and is just enough of a problem to cause a leak. It seems the salt gets between the manifold and the resevoir. Good luck.

16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The reservoir is shot. It is being replaced tomorrow......hopefully before the snow that is being predicted lands...