1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid replacement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Night, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Night

Night Junior Member

I looked through the forum a bit and didn't see this so I apologize if it's been asked.... I'm trying to swap out the fluid in my Western Plow. I located the fill plug but not the drain plug. It states that it's on the bottom right corner of the unit. This would seem that the bumper is completely covering the nut. Is it normal to have to remove the unit to drain the fluid to replace it?

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ive never had to remove anything to drain the fluid. post a pic and we can tell you what you need to do.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Here you go. Hope this helps

010.jpg

011.jpg

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Just re-read your post. By the way that you said the bumper is in the way I am asuming that you have a conventional plow (where the lights and pump stay with the truck not the plow) If that is the case, it could very well be that your plug is above the bumper depending on the truck and bumper configuration

5. Night

Night Junior Member

You are completely correct. The lights and pump stay with the plow. Judging by the pictures that you posted and seeing the position of the drain plug, it is more than likely directly above the bumper..... interesting. I was really not wanting to have to remove or loosen the pump to drain the fluid. Thanks for the pics and guidance, it's truly appreciated. I just bought the plow a short bit ago and am trying to do some maint to it. Thanks again.

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

pull the motor off and drain it the hard way. then you can clean the filter while your in there.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It's not that hard of a job.
    Go to the Western site and download a repair manual

8. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Raise the lift cylinder all the way up without the plow on. This should give you thje clearance to remove the drain plug.