1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid questions/issues.

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by split2ndnova, Dec 26, 2009.

1. split2ndnova

split2ndnova Member

I must say I havent gotten the same answer on this issue and it's making me nervous.

I called my dealer to find out about fluid because the owners manual said nada about it. I assume this is the correct way to check.

The tank should be filled 3/4 of the way and you must push down on the lift cylinder in the "float" position to check the fluid. I was told to fill it 3/4 of the way.

I am getting fluid coming out of the motor base when in operation then goes away. I had a few loose hoses but they are fixed now. Is this normal? Can fluid escape based on using it for a while? If it isn't over filled? Or does it have a leak? This has occured since day 1. I figured I had too much fluid in it but that wasnt the case. Please help....

Leaks about 3 tablespoons full at times and not adding any fluid as of yet so? Where is it coming from? the escape valve?

Also,

Where should the chains be set and how is best.

Float push all way down and a little slack? let me know.

2. plowman69

plowman69 Member
    from amherst

pull the cover off and brake clean it off and dry it now have some body run the plow up and down watch the vent between the valves if it is coming out of there the fluid level is to high that is the only thing that leaked fluid on mine it looks like it coming out of the motor but it running down the sides from the vent

3. split2ndnova

split2ndnova Member

Got it.

When the fluid level is checked, should the lift cylinder be pushed down by hand in float position? Or should the plow just be on the ground?

Also, I assume chain length is like many others.

Push down in float position, all the way, then have a little slack? Or should there be slack when the plow is just on ground?

When driving, the chain height comes into play so I have been confused about it. I also have changed the length to drive from job to job. I need to know what is the best way to go for less beating on the plow. Whats everyone doing with an 8.5 v? My plow has been easier to drive around when higher on front end.
    My ford has big tires so this shouldnt be an issue

4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Sorry for some of the confusion on these issues. You're right, the owner's manual does not have enough information in it.

Fluid Type - Low Temperature Snowplow Oil - SAM or equivalent. (Blue)
    Amount - the fill should always be measured with all cylinders fully retracted. On newer plows the elbow at the end of the reservoir should be used to determine proper fill. That corresponds to 1/2 to 2/3 full.

If you have fluid exiting the vent port, it is overfilled.

5. mcdevi90

mcdevi90 Junior Member
    from nj

my dealer told me 20 weight regular hydrolic fluid

6. PlowingMI

PlowingMI Senior Member

Funny, My dealer (Cannon), changed the fluid from the factory to ATF fluid. And claim that this fixed my leaking problem.

Scott -- did you ever get in touch with Cannon to ask why the ATF as apposed to S.A.M.

7. Mike57

Mike57 Member

My angle cylinders have started to drift when heavily loaded particularly in stacking snow. Is this normal? Does the fluid need changing or is there another issue lurking?

8. Jefferson513

Jefferson513 Junior Member

Scott, Did you really mean ALL cylinders? This would require disconnecting one of the angle cylinders.

Or just retract the lift cylinder while in the float position?

9. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Where exactly is the vent port? My plow has leaked fluid from day one (bought in Nov of 2009). Not much, just always some blue snow where it's parked. I've looked it over and didn't see anything wrong, so I brought it back to the dealer. They said they did not find any problems and it was probably just overfilled. I have never had to add any fluid, and it has always worked fine. It's always wet with fluid at the base of the valves/solenoids, Is that where the vent is? How much longer until it stops venting?

10. 50chevtrk

50chevtrk Junior Member

mike 57 lets start another thread because mine is doing the same thing
    just started that last snow fall