1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Question

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by VnDrWLawnCare, Feb 2, 2009.

1. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

I had my friend drop by a snoway dealer outside of town (nearest one) to pick up some fluid for me. It is a authorized dealer, so i expected to get OEM Snoway fluid. What i got was snowplow oil from snowplow aftermarket manufacturing. It is in a blue quart. I think they sell it at tractor supply as well. This fluid is blue, and the factory fluid is clear. Should i mix these fluids? I still cant believe a dealer sold me an aftermarket fluid even though it says it will work.

So should i mix these? What are the warranty implications if something goes wrong?
    Why is a dealer selling anything but the true snoway fluid?
    Thanks
    Eric

2. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

no if your plow is under warranty you want to use the snoway fluid....
    once you are out of warranty you can your the blue fluid if what it is is the s.a.m or buyers brand, and i wouldnt reccomend mixing them i would flush it all out an then add the new blue fluid once the warrany is up.. but keep in mind the new snoway fluid is BLUE

hope this helps

3. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Thanks

I just purchased the plow in Nov. I am pretty sure the fluid is clear. So are you saying the fluid has changed since then? Is the clear snoway fluid still available?

Has snoway developed their own blue fluid, or are they using this S.A.M brand?

Thanks

4. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

the blue fluid that snoway uses now is their own fluid it comes with their new plows.. if you baught your plow in november you were probably working off their old inventory which is fine its just most dealers dont get their new inventory untill then depending on how many plows they ordered and what not. and the clear fluid is available depending on your dealer

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I asked tech the same question. The answer: They have not changed fluid suppliers, they merely added a blue dye to make it easier to see the fluid level though the opaque plastic reservoir.

6. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Interesting. Out of curiosity, what did a quart cost you?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No do not mix fluids!!!

8. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

If your plow is under warranty, do not mix after market fluid with Sno-Way fluid. While your plow is under warranty, only use Sno-Way fluid. As Basher indicated, Sno-Way has added dye to the fluid this year to give it a blue tinge so that it is easier to see the fluid level in the plastic reservoir. It is okay to mix your clear Sno-Way fluid with the new "blue" Sno-Way fluid as it is the same fluid. Hope that this helps answer your questions.

9. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Since this would void the warranty according to rhkfwain, I'd be interested in hearing _why_ also.

I'm glad VnDrWLawnCare was smart and asked about the fluid. If the dealer sold me it as "factory authorized," I'm not sure I would have questioned it. :dizzy:

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No manufacturer is going to pay for repairing the damage done by mixing dis similar fluids, nor are they going to recommend the competitors brand as a suitable replacement. The wrong fluid can cause major problems if they are not compatible with the o-ring, gasket, seal materials or lack the proper lubricants, de-icers or anti foaming agents. If you check your manuals Snoway gives alternative fluids that are acceptable but if you use a recommended replacement fluid other then what came in the plow you need to drain, flush and refill.

11. Bruno

Bruno Member

Blue fluid is great idea, it saved me one night when a line came loose and i noticed this blue stuff on the white snow when i was reversing my truck. Lucky i noticed and had a chance to get my plow up before i ran out of oil.

12. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

yeah i really never understood why snoway had a clear fluid anyway... hhmmmmm a white resivor lets put clear fluid in it?? :confused: you can really see that! :rolleyes:

13. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

ghlkal

The aftermarket brand of fluid cost me around 6 bucks a quart. I havent picked up any snoway brand yet so i dont know what that will set me back. Well worth it i am sure if i was to have a problem.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

14. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

Oil Covers

Speaking of mixing oil...a friend of mine has a sno-way ( i know its a 7 foot six inch model but i do not recall his exact model) and last night he found himself in an emergency...

while plowing he started noticing a reduction in lift and turn response to his commands via his controller.....he said he got out of his truck and lifted the motor cover and saw a low fluid level...almost to the point of being empty.....so he looked around and saw fluid around the plow frame and components but he also saw that his fill cap was ***on*** and snug...so what gives he thought!.....so upon further inspection he notices there was a second fill cap hole just underneath where the electrical connections were.....this second fill cap had no cover or cap and he saw that fluid had been swirling out as he would drive and plow...he was able to use the rest of the second quart he was given w his original purchase last month...but by morning he was in a deperate situation and putting in a red replacement..i am not sure what brand it was....it would seem that this is a simple enough mistake to have a missing cap, but he is worried about damage and voiding his warranty thru no fault of his own. This second fill cap is not really even usable since it is underneath the electrical box as he described it and essentially has not real access.

he said he will be calling the dealer tomorrow...i told him i would ask people here if they knew about this and had anything to share for him....any thoughts? what gives on thsi design?

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This is a new unit? there isn't a second fill hole in any of the snoway reservoirs. Drain the unit and refill with one type of premium plow fluid.

16. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

sno-way fluid container

i should have attached this picture he sent me yesterday morning...there does appear to be something looking like a fill cap area under the silver box and he said the white plastic oil holder was doused w oil...i have not heard from him yet today...here is the picture:

snoway cap.jpg

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That is not suppose to be an opening. It should be sealed

18. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

Plow leaking fluid

Basher...you are right..it IS sealed.....i just went over and looked at it...it is sealed ....so it must be a tank used for different models, they just choose which hole to keep sealed and which to use as a fill cap...anyway the problem has been determined and its good we found it now instead of the next storm..i would advise everyone to go out and check their unit...if you look at the picture i posted you will see the silver colored oil pump box sitting above the resevoir....there are about six allen wrench driven screws that go into the box (brass).....two of them were loose ....and these were straight from the factory box.....one was loose enough that fluid would pulse out at each command on the control box.

The one that was loose can be seen in the picture i posted....it is the one seen from a side view right around the corner from the C-2 marking......if this had been used in one more storm it would have been out and lost rendering the plow useless

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If it is new I would be taking it to the dealer for a flush and refill. Make them check the O-rings too.
    Glad you figured it out.