1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid out the vent?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PLM-1, Jan 13, 2007.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Plowed for a few hours last night and this morning. Fluid seems to be leaking/blowing out the vent on top of the pump. Should this be happening?

2. doh

doh Senior Member

Was it over filled? or filled with the plow raised?

3. LON

LON Senior Member

Any other symptoms? Is this an old style brass vent or the new plastic duck bill?

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I don't believe it was over filled. The plow was lowered when filled. Thanks for the reply!

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

It's a brand new plow. It is the plastic one. The plow does seem a little slow to raise.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Return line or defuser at the end of the return line may be off.

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

How would I go about determining this?

8. LON

LON Senior Member

not going full up, as in all 10" of stroke out of the cylinder.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

It's going all the way up. Just seems slower, maybe it's me. I'll post some pics of the leakage.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Here's the pics. It's sorta hard to tell. The ice is accumulating again. You can see hints of blue.

P1011244.JPG

P1011243.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It may just be slower because the fluid level inside the reservoir is now lower than full. Did you check the level at all? On the other hand, it may be the fact that the reservoir is overfilled that caused fluid to spill out the quill. Kind of difficult to diagnose.

12. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I will check the fluid before I head back out. That freezing rain/sleet crap is startin back up!

13. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

The fluid was a little low. Should you be able to turn that vent? i turned it a little bit to tighten it. I couldn't tell if it leaked anymore because the snow was already blue there and didn't want to touch it only to get it all over the steering wheel.

14. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

This air vent is what controls how fast the blade drops when in float mode. The tighter it is, the slower it drops, IIRC. I keep mine tight either way.

15. LON

LON Senior Member

are you filling up with all cylinders retracted? Lift must be all the way down and plow in vee position.

16. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

That is how I fill. I called the dealer today and he called fisher on it. They said there isn't anyway it could be leaking out of the vent. hmmm

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know why they told you that.If the baffle's have fallen off the return pipe's or the pipe's themselves come loose inside the reservoir. it could very easily blow fluid out the vent.

18. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Here are some more pics.

P1011250.JPG

P1011252.JPG

P1011251.JPG

P1011255.JPG

19. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

How would I go about checking that?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Drain the reservoir and remove it.The return pipe's will be sticking straight up and will have a "diffuser" on the end of them (if their still there). Also, judging by the last 2 pics you posted it look's like maybe the ice build up could be restricting the vent.