1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid options

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by brods, Dec 15, 2007.

1. brods

brods Junior Member
    from Detroit

Did a search and didn't find much but bits and pieces.

Question is what fluids have been run successfully in a Meyers setup?

My first few years with a used plow a long time ago I used the special blue low temp anti freeze up fluid. The plow froze all the time, even after several complete drains and refills. Since the plow was used year round to grade a steep gravel driveway, I switched to cheap hydraulic fluid (like for log splitters) from the local home center and have never looked back. Yes it does slow the plow down during severe cold.

I refuse to pay a premium for magic fluid that does not work, but I would like better cold weather performance. I am considering trying ATF since I have plenty of leftover Dexron III.

So speak up, what have you guys run successfully that works well at low temperatures?
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I use the blue stuff in my Meyer and have not a problem with it. The regular Meyer fluid is good as well
  3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I use the Arctic blue in mine. Don't run ATF it will eat the seals in the pump.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

before i found this site we used p/s fluid .now we use meyer blue

5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I use a blue fluid that was made for Meyers although it is not the actual Meyers brand. One thing for sure, it is a lot cheaper and it works.

I have read on these post over the past few months that a guys uses regular Hydraulic fluid and adds a tsp of Dry Gas and never has a problem with freeze up any more. It sounds like you have serious water problem and other than changing the fluids, I wouldn't know what to tell you how to fix it.

When B&B or some of the other Pros gets here, he will set you straight.