1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid level?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by T-CON, Mar 19, 2007.

1. T-CON

T-CON Junior Member

Can some body give me the idiots explanation of how to check the fluid level on an 8'2" v plow?

I thought I did it right and ended up puking fluid out so I guess I had it over filled.

Thanks
    Ted

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:

an ID,10T falt?

He he he....

Mount plow on truck.
    park on level ground.
    Have plow straight.
    Put plow in float.
    remove cover.
    remove "DIP" stick ( it is on the bottom of the fill/vent cap.)
    wipe it clean.
    Observe the little checker area on the stick. This where you want the fluid level to be.
    Add or remove fluid until the fluid level is in the checked area.
    most of the time the fluid will only leak out the vent is when the plow is off of the truck and the head gear is forward.

One reason this happens is that everyone thinks that a little extra fluid is a good thing.
    But as you remove your plow and the head gear falls forward now all of that fluid is in the reservoir too and it overflows, running out the vent.

:waving:

3. T-CON

T-CON Junior Member

snofarmer,

dip stick??

I have a street elbow on the side of the frame. I thought that was where you look for the level.

The way I have done it is to make sure the wings are all the way back, raise and lower the plow into flow and fill the fluid to the point on the elbow that it appears on the illustration. This is I guess where the elbow widens on the outside or the bottom of the threads. Problem is this resulted in puking oil and then even more so when the plow was removed from the truck.

I am assuming it was over filled but I can not tell where I went wrong.

T

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

My fault.. I should have asked what model of plow you had, an RTII or a RTIII.

I do not have a fill or a street elbow on the end of the reservoir like you do.

Take the cap off of the top of the reservoir is there a small dip-stick on the bottom of the cap?

Regardless if fluid is coming out the filler/ vent the reservoir is over filled.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

o leaky one!

you have a later model rt iii, raise the plow ,retract the blade half's,,fill it enough that you can shake the plow and just have the oil slosh into the elbow. if you get it to full it will blow out of the breather under the black cover,it will just make a mess.i have been doing it this way since this style came out an it works just fine!:salute: