1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid level

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Jan 20, 2005.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I went out again to check the level on my plow but I can't get the allen key plug out...is there another way to check my level? should I have the plow down when I check or up? thanks...

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

What kind of plow?

3. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Western...6.5 on my jeep...around 7 years old

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Sorry i have fisher and meyers

5. martyman

martyman Senior Member

thanks anyway :)

6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

The plow should be down and the lift cylinder should be pushed all the way down and attached to the truck. If the plug is not striped and you simply need more leverage you could slip a piece of pipe over the allen key.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You could take a straw or anything clean and put it in the fill hole to see how much fluid is in there. It should be around 2" from the top. You might try heating the allen screw before trying to turn it also. If the fluid has not been changed in a while then you should be doing that.

8. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

before you use extra leverage, let it soak a little bit with wd-40 or equivalent, then put the allen in and lightly smack it with a hammer to shock it incase it's a little corroded. this will help break it loose. another idea would be to try and tighten is jsut a bit first, believe it or not it helps break them loose. good luck.

9. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

If you have too much trouble, just unbolt the big bolts that hold down the motor to the reservoir. Then pull the electric motor up and off. This is how I flush and fill my westerns for the last 3 or 4 years. Sure beats filling thtough that goofy little pipe plug on teh upper corner. Just make sure to unhook the batt cable first and watch you don't tear the gasket. This method, you can get about an extra quart out/in when you change. And look for any metal pieces.

It helps to have that side allen bolt you're talking about out to check the level. Once you see where, you can remember how the level looks as you view it from above for next time.

I think your plow is similar to my western unimounts. But I haven't seen too many smaller plows up close.

10. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

The last couple of seasons I did it the way TLC Ken has describes but I also spray brake cleaner in the reservior and it cleans out any junk. It aslo helps to keep the filter clean.