1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Leaking??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Diesel Bob, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

I have a 7'6" straight blade super duty that is leaking fluid after use. When using the plow and after parking the vehicle there is no visible leaking. But after sitting overnight there is oil on the floor. After inspection it appears to becoming from the top of the fluid tank breather. It is not overfilled and currently still leaks after use. Myself and the dealer have looked at the pump and fluid tank and can not find any leaks anywhere. It is used to plow 3 small family driveways and no commercial use. Any ideas?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

well it might be just a little bit over full ,or the pump enclosure could have some oil finding it's way out from the last oil change and is just finding it's level .

3. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Negative, we have left it underfilled and tested it and it still leaks.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

you can have a fliud leak if you compress the tower down by hand.

If you run it down with the motor, no big deal, if it is off and you lay it down by hand it may/will leak.

Miike

5. Jayson_109

Jayson_109 Junior Member

well i had the exact same problem with my VXT, and I found that one more revolution of the fill valve fixed it. I had a heck of a time trying to find out but after many times of cleaning the area out then drying it. Just started putting towel around the hydraulic control block and on the bottom of the tower.
    I don't know how bad of a leak you had but it would take days to make its way to the floor once i cleaned it. Hope this helps!

6. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Jayson 109, I am not following what you are refering to: "I found that one more revolution of the fill valve fixed it".
    I referenced the hydraulic valve manifold/assembly parts list and could not find what you are refering to.

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

the plastic elbow you use to fill it on the side of the tank ,make's sense they are some time's loose but be careful they can break or crack .check the tank o-ring also .

8. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Got it. The word "valve" threw me off. Thank you.

9. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

I checked out the filler elbow and everything is good there.

Any other ideas?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the vent cap is tight also, which is what Jayson was referring to.

As soon as you park the plow pull the pump cover off and check it for any stray fluid. Could be leaking during use slightly but not showing up until it sets idle for a while. Positive it's not leaking down from the valve manifold thus running down over the reservoir?

11. pyro29

pyro29 Member

Or even run with the cover off for an hour, checking it periodically, so you don't have to fool with the little thumb screws later on. You can also get a fluorescent dye from the local auto parts store to add to the fluid, run the plow, then using a black light, find the leak...

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I don't recommend running with the cover removed. Water gets in through the vent cap in a hurry.

13. Vtlumberjack

Vtlumberjack Junior Member
    from VT

I also have a 7.5 Superduty straight blade with the same problem. Small drips of fluid after use. I use mine commercially this year and notices it a lot more. It didn't seem logical to me when my dealer said lets replace the O-ring for the tank cap, the one inside the housing. I replaced it Wednesday, went out last night. No fluid. So Im crossing my fingers on this one.

14. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

I replaced the fluid tank breather cap last night with one from a different plow and went plowing. So far nothing leaking.
    Waiting for the the freezing rain we are getting this morning to switch over to snow and try it again today.

15. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Well it has stopped leaking. What difference a new breather cap made, I do not understand. But as long as it is not leaking anymore, it works for me.