1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid leaking from behind pump cover?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Feb 2, 2007.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I just noticed tonite that there is a small amount of seepage from under the inside of the pump cover.Is there a trick to getting this cover off? Do I have to disconnect the top pin/clip that hold the lift cylinder on and move the cylinder out of the way to get this front cover off? Any ideas what is behind this cover that may be leaking and what to or not do to correct it?Also seeing my dealer is quite aways away, what other fluid do you all use if the BOSS fluid is not readily available? Thanks in advance.:dizzy:

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Place the blade into float mode then push up on the light tower. That will allow some play in the lift cylinder. Pull the pin out then pull the cylinder forward. That allows you to remove the cover.

On my previous plow I topped it up with regular ATF when I blew a hose. Current plow I had the left over oil from when they originally filled it up.

3. peterk800xc

Thanks!

Bowtie_ guy- Thanks as I had the plow sitting on the ground and the pin was non-moveable due to the pressure I think.This should allow the pin some freepaly.Not sure whats behind the cover but will find out when the snow finally quits.Til then guess I will have to keep adding some fluid. Say where abouts in Sudbury are you from? I am hoping to get up to that area ( Sportsmans" Lodge) do do some snowmobiling.How are the snow conditions? I have heard that theres not alot in the bush as of yet.Thanks again. Pete tymusic

4. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

It is a common occurence to see fluid coming form underneath the cover due to the resovoir being over filled. The cap at the fill port is a breather cap and when the resevoir is over filled it will come out from the cap. But to be on the safe side you can pull the cover. I usually pull the cover by:

Putting the plow in float mode,
    manually take the plow off so you have slack in both hoses,
    pull the pins upper and lower,
    remove the cover,
    mount the plow back on to the truck, soyou don't have to hold it.

5. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I'm actually considered Garson. I live right on the edge of the two old towns, now all considered one. Been up here before? If you know where Rainbow Concrete is I live right around there. Near Falconbridge Road. As for trails, not sure about the sportsman area but around town the trails are non existent. People are running but no grooming, snow bearly covers stumps. None of the trails in District 12 are open. There is some grooming happening in Districts 10 and 11, prob everywhere but around me.

6. peterk800xc

Thanks for the info!

Yes I have been coming up your way for many years.Beautiful area.I want to get up and do some pickeral fishing in the Spring- do you fish?? Garson- not too familiar with the village but I thingk that a lady by the name of Kathy who used to manage the Sportsmans Lodge before it was sold lived in Garson.My friends are planning on coming up next weekend to sled and I will pass the info on as thye have been told by the place they are staying" the trails are great!" Good to hear the truth from someone who does live there and is knowledgeable of the area.Do you ride?I had to cut my ride short here yesterday as all my customers were blown in big time.Just back after going out again at 4 am! I am in the lake effect area and down lake from us theya re forecasting snowfall today/tommorow in FEET--not Inches!! Now thats big time snowfall.If you need anything for your plow and Im coming up let me know as I am sure it would be alot cheaper to get it here than to buy it up there!! Correct?I do this for some of my Canadian rider friends when they need parts for their atvs or sleds. Thanks again for the info. Pete tymusic

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

you have to make sure it is in float to replace the pressure off the pin,tilt the cylinder out a bit,slide the cover out there are two tabs in the bottom of the cover that slide into the upright,like what was said if is over filled it will puke it out till it finds level.or some times if you power it down when taking it off it will sometimes puke.is it a newer plow with the external fill elbow on the passenger side,to check level ,raise plow all the way, remove cap from elbow,rock the plow with your hand slightly ,it is full enough when the oil just sloshes into the elbow.

8. peterk800xc

Thanks

WildBill- yes my plow is a newer one, just out of the 2 year warranty ( figures)! Funny now it has stopped dripping.Its been to frozen to mess with it but next week its supposed to get warmer and I will take the cover off. Pete