1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Jun 26, 2008.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have a 98 RCLB K3500. I have a small fluid leak that is dripping off of the left side axle assembly on the front of the truck. Its dripping where the axle bolts to the flange coming out of the front diff. Is there some type of seal here? All of the bolts feel tight. Thanks.

Wayne

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes there is a small metal clad type seal in there Wayne. And most any IFS GM you look under will be wet there on both sides where the axle flanges are....always seemed to be the nature of the beast for many years.

The bolts your referring to that you mentioned are "tight" only hold the CV shaft assembly to the axle flange itself. The axle itself is actually held in the diff by an internal cir-clip in the axle.

There not too bad to change the seal. No need to remove or disassemble the diff. The toughest part is getting the axle to "pop out" (due to the cir-clip) of the diff. If you tackle it and it's a high mileage truck be sure to check the axle for up and down play first. This will tell you if the axle bearing or the axle itself is worn, which is many the reason to a seal leak in the first place. If the axles worn you simply replace the axle. If the bearing is worn it requires removal and dis assembly of the diff. Unless you have access to a top of the line bearing puller set, like a Versa-Grip or Kent-Moore brand ($$$).

3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

B&B,
    Thanks as always for the info. The CV shaft assembly actually looked like it had been replaced sometime soon before I bought the truck. It looked fairly new at the time. Passenger side is dry and looks original. Truck has 96,600 miles on it. I'll check for any axle play. Thanks again.

Wayne

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you check the axle for lateral movement, try to estimate how much it has, or if you have access to one a dial indicator is much more accurate. About a 1/16" is considered normal....any more than that then something is worn and it'll simply leak at the seal again if you only replace the seal.

And happy to help Wayne. :salute: