1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid freeze up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve in Pa., Feb 10, 2003.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

anybody out there have problems with the plow fluid freezing up in diamonds? Have a 8' diamond which seems to always be freezing up when set for a couple days. completely drained the pump, took out filters and blew out the pump with air hose. took off the lines to the cylinders on the plow blew them out as well as drained the cylinders. we have a 8'6 western , 7'6 western, and 8' myers and no problems with them freezing. I put in the myers plow fluid which is suppose to prevent icing not cause it????? :drinkup:

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

My guess is that plow is getting water into it somewhere, somehow. Especially since the same fluid is working in other plows. Look for a leak somewhere.

3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

You may have a leek in the top seal.

4. Plowingsince73

Plowingsince73 Junior Member

One of the best ways to prevent top seal damage is to install a seal with a brass scraper ring. The brass ring prevents ice from damaging the inner rubber seal. If this pump is similar to the E47 I have some extras available. Email me at bushley@jobe.net and will be glad to sell you one.

meyer oil seal brass.jpg

5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

On my ole Western plow, I experienced the same thing, I switched to Texaco brand Aircraft hydraulic fluid, it solved the problem.

Rick

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

You might also want to put some pipe insulation on the hoses too. Its the stuff you put on the pipes under your house, its cheap and make a bit of a difference. I have the texaco hyd fluid as well, I buy it by the drum. It never ices up on me light the other stuff I had. I'll check the shop tomorow what type it is. I think it is 32 weight, but I'll have to double check that.

7. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

Steve i have gone this to. We put a little bit of menthanol in the pump with the fluid (i think that's what it's called) i'll check tomorrow but that's usually what they do to every plow around here because we get such cold temps.

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes, it is Methanol. Adding about 2 ounces will help freeze up problems.

~Chuck

9. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"You might also want to put some pipe insulation on the hoses too. Its the stuff you put on the pipes under your house, its cheap and make a bit of a difference. "
    I can't ever remember hearing about, seeing, or reading this idea before. What a great idea that I bet does help a bit. Simple & cheap way to help out with the cold temps that come along every now & then (and all the time for some of you ;) ) Thanks Grshppr!

10. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Remember, too much of a good thing can be bad. Methanol will destroy o-rings and packings over periods of time. Don't use too much, less than 3% mixture.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can add some rubbing alcohol it works it my meyes pump it never freezes

12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Methanol is the same as "rubbing alcohol" Ethanol is the good stuff we drink:drinkup: ( but not while plowing) ( unless you're the flask guy!)

13. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Forgot about the "flask guy "........ thanks , brought a smile to my face . Quite the :nono: flaming:nono: he got .