1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid for snow plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bgjj, Sep 11, 2006.

1. bgjj

bgjj Junior Member

would that Low-Temp Antiwear Hydraulic for tractors work for plow or is that not good,
    the reason I ask is, Plow has ATF, seems to lift slower half way through a cold night wondering if it is the viscosity of ATF at cold temps or should I just go with plow fluid?
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Iam doing some work on this also i have a guy than is a royal purple dealer sounds like the farm hydro oil might work but iam just at the first stage of research should have some test data soon. But some older data says kendall hyken glacial blu hydraulic fluid works well with the colder temps..

3. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

They do make snow plow hyd. oil that works much better in the cold, trundle off down to NAPA, bet they got some.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can use any hydraulic oil you want. From UTO,UTF to ATF, some work better than others at low temps.
    I like a hydraulic oil with a AW32 rating, It's good down to -32.
    Commonly called the blue stuff.

The wax(paraffin) in the ATF can separate at low temps clogging your filter.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Hey, the blue stuff is good down to -40 not -32. just like the boss fluid advertises.

But whats a couple of DEG's when it's that cold.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Basically any Low temperature Hydraulic fluid will work. I like to use the manuf. fluid because it guaranties proper viscosity, lubricants and formulation.

Lots of guys use the cheap blue stuff with out problems, but stay away from atf, utf, etc, as snofarmer said wax and low tempatures:nono: .