1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid for a Boss

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rickbays, Nov 15, 2008.

1. rickbays

rickbays Member

When I got my rt3 boss The guy told me to run just tranny fliud, but I dont think thats right. This is my 1st plow. I just want to make sure that the plow works flawless this winter.

The closest boss dealer is about an hour away. Is there a good fluid i can buy or should I make the trip and stock up?

Thanks Again
    Rick

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I ran tranny fluid in my first rt3 vee a few years ago, never had a problem. I am runny some sh!tty fluid right now just to get by, and ran it all last year and never had a problem I think one of my local dealers said it was fisher fluid, and that i need to get it out of my pump cause it obsorbs moisture and what not. Haven't had the time to change it out yet.

3. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Out with the tranny fluid, in the with the Boss fluid. How much fluid can you go through in a yr?? Not much, don't worry about the little extra cost. Run what was meant to be run in there.

4. rickbays

rickbays Member

yea just asking sence there is no dealer open and close today. Im going to make the trip monday before work.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow

there are plenty of on line seller's ,but any oil supplier can supply it as long as it meets military spec 5606 .try cpw on the link at the top of the screen .

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stuff is around 10.00 a qt. I do a service on mine every yr. and never had to add any during the season.

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

run the boss plow hydraulic fluid. tranny fluid can gel up in plows at low temps which would not be good for you. i love it when people spend 5 grand on a plow then cheap out on the proper fluids/service on it. :confused: if you dont want to drive theres a store on ebay selling it for around 7.50 /quart + shipping our you can order from cpw.com :cool:

8. rickbays

rickbays Member

I was thinking it would gel. Thats why i asked.

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Actually any plow fluid is just fine. It doesnt matter what color it is. Use Meyer,Western or what ever brand is close.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have had several instances with guys running ATF in the vee's having issues with the wing reliefs not doing there job due to the consistency of the ATF. The colder it got, the worse they functioned. So be sure choose wisely.

Flushing the system of ATF and using the correct plow designated fluid fixed every one of them. ;)