1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid flush question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jsc824, Dec 18, 2010.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I want to change the fluid in the unimount that is new to me. I have no idea how long the current fluid has been in the system. It appears to be ATF, its a brownish color?

I bought some of the blue hydro plow fluid. I would assume I have to flush the system of the ATF so the two don't mix. Question is what do I use to flush the system? Seems like it would be costly to flush it with the hydro fluid?

2. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

kerosene probably 3 qts

3. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

did a little searching around.

Will Naphtha be okay to use to flush the unimount?

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a post that explain on how to change the fluid. Look @ post #3
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=112180

The way I flush out the system as follow. When you take the pressure hoses off the valve manifold (make sure you remember where the left and right ram came out of, and make sure the plow blade is sitting on a 2x4, have two containers available Plus make sure you have one extra quart of hydo fluid.) using one container, put one of the pressure hose inside the container. Turn the plow by hand (if it the left ram) turn to the left. This will remove the old fluid. Do the same to the other side. Take the second container and empty one quart of new fluid into it. Take one of the pressure (Ex; right ram) and extend the ram by turning the plow. this will suck in the new fluid. Take the old container and let the hose us just suck fluid into lay inside the container (do not put hose into the old fluid), now put the other pressure inside the new container and suck in the new fluid. Then push out the new fluid with out sucking the old fluid back in from the other pressure line.. Might sound a lot to do, but it only take less then 3 minutes. Clean the pump housing out with "brake cleaner", and the suction filter (remove it from the pump). Blow them out with air. Reinstall the filter back on the the pump. Put the pressure lines back on to the valve manifold. Before you put the new pump gasket on , fill the housing with the new fluid ( to the correct fluid height). Install the motor. BY HAND swing the plow to the left.Wait 60 seconds. Swing it to the right, wait 60 sec. center the plow. Recheck the fluid to make sure the fluid is at the proper level. Turn the plow on, raise, then lower, swing right, the left, then center.

Here is picture of the pump. It show you the drain, fill, and level plugs
    fill plug.jpg

There is a flush fluid. Usually plow shop sell it. To me buying it is a waste.

Let us know how you made out

fill plug.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

ok so this not just a fluid change. It involves removing the motor to get to the filter and reinstalling with a new gasket?

6. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Your post states a flush, so his instructions would be that. Otherwise just do as he says but don't remove and clean the filter. Do you know the history on the plow?

7. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

no clue on the history of the plow. I will likley just flush out the ATF and put in the hydro and see what happens. Worst case, I can drain it again and take out the filter etc... My plan is to tackle this project tomorrow. Ill reply back how I make out. Hopefully on a good note.

8. twinman326

My advice, remove the pump and clean the housing out and the screen..trust me on this..........

9. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Twinman, just to clarify, I should buy a new gasket and have a new filter on hand for when I remove the motor? I am new to plows and am learning as I go. I dont really have access to western parts around my home, and would likley have to order them.

10. twinman326

If you have a "Napa auto part store, they might carry the gasket.. As for the filter, just clean it out with brake cleaner real good, and if you have an air gun, blow it out good..The reason why I said change the gasket, because you might destroy the one on the pump housing..If you don't destroy it, then you should be ok.. I always carry extra of fluid, gasket, (1) pressure hose, and tools while I am plowing..Be safe then sorry..

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

western part # 49276 is a kit that includes a new gasket for under the motor, a new filter, a new O ring for under the pump and 2 new bolts and washer to bolt the pump down.

dont bother trying to fill the angle rams. clean the filter and bolt the pump down. dump in 2 quarts of fluid and put the motor on. angle the plow several times first. then raise the plow and angle a few more times. the air will come right out.

12. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Well I flushed and changed the fluid today. I ran into a few problems with the motor as I managed to completely dismantle it un intentionally. With the help of some here I am back up and running. I ended up with a new suction filter because I tried to clean the one in the plow and it was do gummed up I couldn't get it clean. Changed the atf fluid to the blue hydro -50 degree fluid. Plow works much better now with crisp and fast movements.

Thanks to all that helped.

13. twinman326

Glad on thread is CLOSED

Happy holidays, and safe plowing.............

14. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Glad to see you went the extra mile and got it done.