1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fluid flush/ change

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ultimateinc, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

hey guys was gonna flush / change my fluid in 1 of my plows. was wondering if there is a best way to do this ? a guy told me drain the lines, make sure the lines & motor is completely empty and work the plow back & fourth to get all the air out. is that pretty much everything or should i know more ? id figure id ask the experts since im sure most of you guys just do all your own . its a western uni mount straight blade.

thanks for anymore advice.:salute:

2. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

I did mine at the end of the season last year and I first put the plow on a block of wood all the way down and then pushed the up/down cylinder all the way down by hand.. I think I took out the plug on the bottom of the pump and drained it and then took off the lines at the pump end and since the plow is resting on the wood u can turn the plow by hand using some strength one way and the other till no more is out.. then i just put the lines back on and the plug back in and filled it and went side to side a few times till i noticed it wasnt laggy then recheck fluid level then went up and down...then recheck fluid level finial time.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

4. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

hey guys followed you instructions (THANK YOU FOR THEM) did everything it said and now plow is moving alittle better, but still really slow like barely moving i kept moving it back & fourth like it said to release the air for like 6 minute. Pump got hot so i stopped. is it a possible the filter is dirty and if so how hard would it be to change tonight? thanks for the help.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

should of took the suction filter when it was empty. Now you have to empty it again, to get to the filter inside the housing attach to the pump!