1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fluid Fluid Fluid how important is the brand?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by WhitePlowr, Nov 21, 2011.

1. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

my buddy swears that meyers fluid needs to be meyers fluid. because its different than these no names with the blue fluid. it does work but what is the quality???. which leads me to the western fluid. i called two major local snow plow dealers near me and the one said they use some no name blue crap which alot of places are carrying now. i was surprised that big place is going that route . the other place carried the fisher fluid. im going to call two more places tomorrow just to see what they carry. I'm sure all the fluid is pretty close .its like 10w-30 is 10w-30 but one is castrol and one is mobil 1 lol i guess is the way to look at it.so western guys what do you know about these fluids and how much do i need for a full flush. I had to go today for other parts and bought the Fisher 1 gallon for $28 PN 28532 Fisher ez flow hydraulic fluid division of douglas dynamics. i want to do a full flush motor area, lines rams everything how much do you think it will take? i bought a filter and motor gasket also. people say its cheap just replace and others say dont waste the money spray it with brake kleen. . this is for a western unimount 2003ish set up. let it rain info..........................................
  2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

i have always used angelos HF1 and never had any trouble at all with it freezing unless it got moisture in it. it was reasonably priced and never failed me so i never had any reason to switch.
  3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

When I had a unimount I used the SAM blue stuff (guessing what you are referring too). NEVER had a hydro issue, never. Used the SAM blue stuff in my SnowDogg had hydro issues (but that has to due to bad lift rams). With my new Sno-way I'm using their fluid (cheaper than the blue stuff).
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

In all of my westerns I have used tranny fluid and it has been fine. My buddy now buys aircraft fluid and swears by it. You have to buy 5 gallons at a time and it is reasonably priced so I switched to that and no problems to speak of. I would believe it will take to quarts or so.

A little trick if you drain the rams and lines. Wen you have the lines off and the rams drained stick the hose into a bottle of fluid and angle the moldboard so the hose sucks the fluid into the ram. Then connect all the hoses and fill the reservoir and angle the plow back and forth. By filling the one ram it will make getting the air out much easier.
  5. tonychavalia

tonychavalia Junior Member

Alot of people run ATF as it is cheaper and some swear by it.

I wouldnt run it if you have a plow pump that is exposed to the elements like the Meyer style or western/Fisher.

I had a Meyer E-47 that I ran ATF in because the thing was leaking from the block and 7 dollar plow fluid was getting expensive. The meyer froze on me and became sluggish and it eventually expanded and froze solid.

I have also run ATF in an old Sno-way that had the pump assembly covered up and never had an issue.

I dont screw around anymore go to Napa if you have one. Mine has about 5 kinds of fluid. There typically is Meyer and Western at about 7-8 a quart, SAM blue around 7 and another one for about 5 a quart.
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Western sells fluid in 1 litre, 4 litre and 200 litrer containers. I have seen people use all kinds of garbage in plows but I only use the Western aircraft grade fluid in my own. If you read the specs on this fluid you will see that the aircraft blue Western original fluid has a very stable viscosity at a very wide range of temperatures and that is important. Keep in mind that the red transmission fluid is designed to work ok in cold transmission that eventually get warm as the engine runs. They don't stay cold like plows do. Xm fluid is actually based on 10 weight oil but gets thicker when it is cold. Plow fluid is about 10 at temperatures from -40C to +30C But remember that the chemicals that cause the fluid to be so thin and stable at wide temperature ranges causes it to become a desacant (absorbs moisture). That means it is important to store your fluid with the cap on the jug tight and be sure that your filler cap on the plow is working. That means that your filler plug is original and that it has a 5 lb pressure valve in it. If you can blow through your filler cap it is NO GOOD! This will allow your reservoir to breath as the oil level goes up and down, bringing in moisture with every breath. That moisture will be absorbed by the fluid and eventyally freeze. In a good system the filler cap / vent will only allow air to get out when the pressure exceeds 5 lbs but does NOT let air back in. The trapped air behaves like it is in a bladder expanding and contracting but not breathing. Also, change your fluid every fall just before plow season starts. Take the reservoir can right off, drain the fluid and LOOK AT IT! Look for discolouration, look for water and look at the magnet in the bottom of the reservoir for matalic particals. Drain the fluid, wipe out the can and then use some brake clean and compressed air to clean out the sump and return screens. I don't drain the lines or the rams unless the system has been contaminated with a lot of water or metallic particals. Filling the rams with a bucket and hose seems like a lot of trouble to me. Even when I build a new plow I just fill it and run it then refill it and run it three times to get the air out. I you want to go to a lot of troubl just pull up to a ditch and drop the plow down so that the fitting end of the angle rams is higher than the piston end and angle it a couple of times, that will get all the air out.
  7. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Definitely plow fluid over ATF for the reasons mentioned above, but as far as plow fluid they're most likely all very very similar and I would go with what is available in your area and be consistant. Here that is Fisher, and now the blue bottle stuff, but it's no cheaper than fisher because it's quarts only. Note, Western and Fisher are both DD, so probably are the exact same fluid. Also, plow fluids are aircraft hydraulic fluid, so that is cool too if you can find it.
  8. bsieb

bsieb Junior Member
    from NJ

The blue stuff was rated at a lower temp than the western stuff. I use the western stuff, if problems, you used what was recomended and can rule out any fluid issue. I change mine in spring and fall. the warm summer can bring moisture so I change in the fall. Spring I change again to put new oil in for summer storage. I treat oil like underwear - change often!!!
  9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Funny you say this because our bulk barrel of Western fluid as well as our Western quart and gallon jugs are blue fluid. But if you change your fluid every fall why change it again in spring just for storage only to throw it away in fall. This stuff is so expensive I couldn't bring myself to do that.